+ Reply to Thread

Thread: future swaps

Default future swaps

For the future, as my current swap finishes, I'm trying to get a line on the swaps I'm going to do next and the order I'm going to do them in. This thread is partly to get an idea of what everyone else is interested in so I can prioritise, and partly so I can keep track and not forget what is going on in my head right now. Here are the swaps I'm thinking about in no particular order.

Minimalist #2
    Bluegill #2
    Chartreuse or Pink
    Limited Materials (start with the same list of materials for everyone to use and see what different patterns we can come up with)

Let me know if any of these interest you guys or if there is a twist on any of them that might make them more interesting. Thanks.

the limited materials one sounds pretty cool

I participated in a swap a while back that was called the survivor swap or something similar. The deal was, each swap member was a sole survivor in a plane crash in the Canadian wilderness. The swap meister sent each participant a small stash of materials which represented what that person was able to salvage from the crashed aircraft. The survivors (swappers) did not receive the same materials and none of the materials were normally intended for tying flies. i.e. I got a small Indian patch of leather with some beads on it and a 6x6 inch piece of cloth. We had to create a credible pattern from the materials we received and tie up one for each swapper. We also sent the swap meister a buck or so to cover the materials and postage. It was a fun swap with lots of creativity. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

i was in a survivor swap too a month or two ago. funny too see this posted on another board, it was pretty cool tho too get some random materials and a species. i got the golden trout with size 20 hooks, chocolate bar, a bandana and a little girls flower power purse. it was fun too dream up a fly with only that stuff.

hey james do u visit flyangler.ca or flyfishcalgary.com boards much????

I enjoyed the minimalist swap this year and would be up for it again. Would also be interested in the Bluegill swap.

For the limited materials, I was considering something like this:

peacock herl
    grizzly hackle
    black thread
    white chenille
    hare's mask (natural)

Any other additions? Maybe some wire, or some maribou? I think I'll probably start this pretty soon and leave a rather long lead time so everyone can experiment a little.

How 'bout a smallie fly swap -- anything goes from topwater - streamer - bottom bouncer.

the limited materials list is pretty good i can think of a number of flies both nymph and dry too whip up maybe even a few streamers. ide leave the list the way it is but if you looking too add something ide say deer hair.

Well, right now I have 2 rods to build and 2 swaps I'm hosting. Once I get a couple of those off of my to do list, I'll open a couple of these swaps up. The limited materials is going to be a for sure, and then another minimalist and bluegill after that. It's gonna be a fun spring.

+ Reply to Thread