+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gotta question, re: toe tags?

Default Gotta question, re: toe tags?

on fly swaps other than the actual flies, return postage and a crush proof container, what else is needed/required? I'm in my first one; the peacock swap and have read about tagging the flies.......???? Is the recipe to be included? help out a newb today and throw me a bone.

thanks, steve

------------------
    I fish, therefore I swam.

In the swaps I am in, I put my name, screen name, email addy, name of the fly and the recipe I use to make it. Then I attach the flies right to this small piece of paper. To me this is the best way to do it. Others may thank this is too much info. This is just how I like to do it. John
    [url=http://home.comcast.net/~bassman540/johnsfliesandswaps.html:5fdad]http://home.comcast.net/~bassman540/johnsfliesandswaps.html[/url:5fdad]

------------------
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

[This message has been edited by bassman (edited 01 December 2005).]
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

on my toe tags, i have my screen name for FAOL, my real name, name of fly and size, and my email addy.

i typically will post the recipes on the board under the swap heading to save room.

------------------
    Everyone dies. Only the lucky ever truly Live. Take your time.

Chris-Bishop, CA, USA

Doesn't hurt to put down the name of the swap somewhere in the correspondence with the meister, even if it isn't on the toe tag. For mine I type the my name and fly name in 10 pt. type, then list the fly parts (recipe)in 7 pt. type. The fly is then hooked through the tag. Having hosted numerous swaps, everyone does it differently. Some go to the extent of putting each individual fly into a plastic envelope. One guy actually prints out a (red) tag with all the data, and pokes the fly through the "hole" of the tag. Really clever. A few don't tag anything, which is a real challenge. Posting the recipe is a good idea, too. Whatever works. But identifying the fly, swap and tyer is all that is needed. JGW

two ways I go with it. 1. I put my flies in small plastic sealable bags with the printing info inside. 2. Go with thread through the eye of the hook and through a small hole in the info card. tie off

If you place a small piece of tape on the end of your tag and stick the hook through it, there is less chance of the fly becoming detached from the tag - provided your fly is not barbless. If barbless, a small plastic bag (envelope) is great.

Tim Anderson

In my swaps I always request a return mailing label for the address.
    Sames me time and the hassels of getting in right.
    I always include one with my swap flies.

Rick

In the couple of swaps I have been in I have used tyvek for the tag (from a Purolator envelope). They are really durable and don't seem to come off the fly easily. (A large envelope can be cut to fit the printer so the tags are even easier to make.) The recipe goes on the BB under the swap as mentioned, and if there are any more details needed members can email.

Thanks for the replies!

Steve

+ Reply to Thread