+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Quaker Swap

Default The Quaker Swap

The Quaker Swap

THIS SWAP IS CLOSED. WE'VE GOT 8 PARTICIPANTS.

Meet Toby.

Toby is my Quaker Parakeet. Toby sings ?Take Me Out To The Ballgame? and especially likes the line about crackerjack. He also sings ?Old MacDonald? but refuses to populate the farm with anything but ducks. He laughs a lot (usually just before trying to bite me) and he is a great buddy. But most importantly, Toby has really cool looking tail feathers. I?ve been collecting his molted tail feathers for the past year.

So here?s the plan.

This swap is limited to 8 participants, including myself. If you want to join you have to post here saying you?re joining and what you'll be tying (if you know) and send me an email with your name and street address. I?ll mail you two of Toby?s tail feathers. You then will tie 8 flies using any part of these feathers. You can create your own fly or you can substitute Toby?s feather for anything you want in any already existing pattern. The fly can be for trout, bass, salmon, panfish, or tarpon and can be on any size hook. It can be a nymph, dry, wet, streamer, fully dressed salmon fly. It just has to be fishable and you have to name it if it doesn't already have a name. You?ll then send all eight flies, with toe tags in a crush-proof container with an return-addressed envelope and the proper amount of return postage to me by the due date. I?ll photo them all for this thread and distribute the Toby flies promptly.

Due Dates:

Sign-up: October 1 or until 8 participants are on board .... DONE

Email me your address: within 24 hours of signing up .... DONE

Me getting you your feathers: I?ll mail them first class within 2 days of getting your address, once we?ve got enough participants to run the swap. ....MAILED ON 9/26

Flies due to me: November 1

Me getting you your flies: I?ll mail them out within 3 days of getting them all. Mailed 11/14

Participants:
    1. Diane: Toby Marabou Streamer
    2. FlyingCarp: QT Nymph RECEIVED
    3. tyflier: Toby Tail and Mallard RECEIVED
    4. Feenom: Catskill Quaker RECEIVED
    5. Greg H: Rogan's Pearly Extractor RECEIVED
    6. billknepp: McToby RECEIVED
    7. Antron Midge: Toby Biot Emerger RECEIVED
    8. Mike Popick: Copper John var. RECEIVED

[This message has been edited by Diane (edited 14 November 2005).]
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Diane, What a great idea for a swap. I would like to give it a try. This sounds like fun. Not sure of pattern.

Jeff

You're in, Jeff. Email me your full name and snail mail address and I'll get you your feathers as soon as we know we have enough for the swap to be a go.

Diane
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

im in on this one. those are some good looking feathers. fly...i dont know, some sort of traditional wet. ill name it later .

------------------
    Everyone dies. Only the lucky ever truly Live. Take your time.

Chris-Bishop, CA, USA

Hi Diane....what a fun idea for a swap! I'd like to give it a try. The feathers look like they might make some cool wetfly wings. I'll decide what to tie when I see them. ...thanks....Jason
    thanks to Toby too!
    e-mail coming

I'm in if you want to mail to Canada. I will do a Rogan's Pearly Extractor variant. (yes, it's a winged wetfly/mini-streamer probalby imitating a brook trout fry)

You're in, guys. I don't mind mailing to Canada, Greg. Sounds like a great fly!

Diane I'd like to see what I might be able to come up with,If You wouldn't mind me tagging along...This one is a unique swap for sure...Can't exactly put a name to it..But i'm thinking of something along the lines of the McGinty wet fly...!!!

[EDIT] Errr,,,,McToby wet fly...LOL...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 18 September 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Can't pass this up, bird has a COOL first name (my name is also Toby) I'm In, I bet I can do a wet fly or an emerger with those feathers

Toby "Antron Midge" Vaughan

[This message has been edited by Antron Midge (edited 18 September 2005).]

Got you Bill, Antron. One spot left!

+ Reply to Thread