This morning my only daughter (Aubrey) came in to my office and asked, "Will you teach me how to fly fish?" Mind you, to say that Aubrey is "a bit prissy" is probably an understatement. I'll just say, "being a ballerina has been her life's ambition". She's nine and has four brothers ages 22, 18, one that is deceased, and a 6 year old. And only Evan (the 6 year old) has any interest in fishing. So out to the yard we went with my rod in hand, and I imparted what little wisdom I have. I was rewarded after about 10 minutes or so with screams of delight as she began actually forming a "loop" that went (more or less) where she wanted. "I'm doing it!!" was repeated many times with great enthusiasm. I've never seen her more giddy. Not even when she got a lead part in the Ballet she auditioned for. She actually ran in to the house to "get Mommy". Who (reluctantly) came out to see her daughter "casting".

I'm obviously going to get Aubrey her own rod, reel, etc. immediately, and take her fishing as soon as possible. And yes, I'll go somewhere she'll likely be (very) successful catching fish. But I'd love to hear any ideas anyone has to "stoke the fire."

By the way, for the record my better half isn't "enthusiastically encouraging" this venture, but she also isn't "discouraging" it. She's "quietly supportive". Fly fishing just isn't her "thing", but you can probably guess, ballet is.

------------------
The smarter I get the less I know.