Having run a bunch of swaps on other sites, let me chime in with another, as it relates to the other two. Crush proof boxes. Lots of folks send me really great boxes that their flies fit in really well. What they don't take into account is the size of others flies or how others will package their flies. These folks usually have tied a bunch of flies 18 or smaller, and didn't put toes tags on them. This quite often leaves me with the only option of 1) supplying them with a box out of my own stash, or 2). Cramming in the flies, toe tags etc. I'm sure that this quite often mangles the flies that everyone worked so hard on. So when you send your flies out, make sure that there is plenty of extra room in the box you are shipping in. Altoids tins are good as are regular (inexpensive)fly boxes with no dividers. I had a guy in the last swap I was in use a travel soap container and it worked really well. These are just a few examples to get you thinking.

EDIT:Oh, just thought of another (after reading the debacle called the pike fly swap )

If you're going to include an extra fly or 2 for the swap boss, let them know how many you want him/her to get. Also let them know (via a note) if you want one of your own back. This will prevent hard feelings from the swappers if they wanted one of their own back and didn't get it (most folks don't get upset as it's fairly easy to tie one up for personal usage)

A final suggestion I had regarding a previous swap was to have everyone tie 2 or to have the swap boss (or duly designated swap member) take photos of the flies. That way we don't go out and slay with a fly and forget what it looked like!!! I need to start doing that.

Take care and happy swapping,

L

PS most of the swaps I run are on utahonthefly or flyfishermanforum

[This message has been edited by Lonnie (edited 16 June 2005).]