+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Multi Tyer Fly Swap - Of Sorts

Default Multi Tyer Fly Swap - Of Sorts

Hi Guys,

This is somewhat piggy-backing on an idea that 'flyangler' started on the 'Fly Tying board.

Here's what I propose:

How about a 'swap' of sorts where:
    1) The swapmaster picks a somewhat complicated salmon fly.
    2) The swapmaster identifies the recipe, the number of steps and lists what each step involves.
    3) People sign up to do one step (however they don't know what that step will be when they sign up) of tying the fly.
    4) Each person signing up gets a 'step number', picked at random by the swapmaster.
    5) The fly is started by person doing step number 1, is mailed to the person doing step #2, and so on until the fly is complete. It is then mailed to the swapmaster. Each person participating will include $2.00 when he mails the fly to the next tyer. That money will pay for #6.
    6) The completed fly will be photographed and each participant will get an 8 x 10 color photo of the fly.
    7) The fly, and all attending information, will be sent to JC as a submission for FOTW or to post as he deems fit.

Let me hear if anyone is interested in this idea.

Allan

2. Default

Allan...sounds pretty neat but how 'bout a realistic instead of a salmon fly? Not sure if I am in or not yet but GREAT idea!!!

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

Sounds like a great idea but, I can assure you folks that you don't want me involved w/ screwing-up your fly. Someday I might be able to run with you big dogs. I hope it works out, can't wait for the pics!

------------------
    Land Em',
    Carp

flying carp,

Just to assure you and maybe to quell some apprehension and fear you and others may have. I am not a salmon fly tyer. I have very little and no successful experience marrying wings. I have never tried to stack wings as seen on many Atlantic salmon flies. I guess what I'm saying is that I have no preconceived notion of how a fly tied in this manner by a group of tyers will turn out. It may be a piece of art or it may a pice of junk. But it will probably be interesting nonetheless.

Come on guys, isn't any one up for a little adventureous tying where mistakes and non-perfection is expected?

Allan

Blog Entries

Allan,
    Sounds like it should be fun. Count me in.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

I must be delirious from the heat and humidity, but I'm going to jump in here! Sounds "interesting"!!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

This reminds of an urban myth concerning a wildlife print done by four local artists. Each one was supposed to add to the print as it was received and forward it to the next. What happened was they found hidden fish in trees, swimming Eagles, and cross eyed trout. In this spirit Coach Robb would feel honored to participate.P.S Would we have to photograph our step? Then E-mail that to the swapmeister. That might be really interesting seeeing all the different vices and benches.

Coach,

Each tyer photographing the fly after completion of his, or her, step would be great. However, I don't know if this can be done. Bear with me because I'm a camera idiot:
    Wouldn't that require that each person need a digital camera? Would that not eliminate some people from participating? Then each person would have to photo the fly at the completion of their step and send the photo to the swapmaster(me) and I'd have to put them all together and forward to JC, right? Not sure I'd be able to do that. I'm more than willing to try if someone would try walking me through each of the processes.
    Maybe the people above can chime in?

This is a 'no rush' swap proposal. There is no start-up date yet. It was just an idea. Once some of the above questions are answered and people get back into the 'tying mode', this can get off the ground.

Allan

Allen,
    Where it would be easier to send digital pictures, it's still very easy to use a disposable print camera, and run it through the 1 hour processing center at Walgreens, Wal-Mart or Target. Package the prints along with the FLY, and, at the end, send all the prints to JC.
    Betty

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Hi Betty,

Yours is an excellent idea which substantiates my ignorance about the use of cameras. (-;

Not only that, but the tyer can legibly write down the appropriate information on the back of the picture such as: material and technique used.

Thanks
    Allan

[This message has been edited by tyeflies (edited 08 June 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread