+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Beginner's Only" Class of 2005

Default "Beginner's Only" Class of 2005

This is the third years that I have been Swapmeister of the ?Beginner?s Only Fly Swap?. Over those three years, there have been a total of 13 groups, that have committed to participating in a series of monthly fly swaps during the late autumn and winter months. I created these fly swaps, for those members who were new to fly tying, as well as those members who were new to fly swaps.

Over 100 members have participated in these swaps, the past three years. The members vote on choice a category, for each months fly swap, and no category is visited twice. So these swaps have been a learning experience for all members, to push them outside their comfort zone, of fly patterns.

Each group of ?Beginner?s Only Fly Swap?, having ten members, tied and submitted twelve flies for each swap (extra two flies are spares). Here is the consolidated categories, that the four different groups chose this season...

Dry Fly
    Emerger Fly
    Midge Fly
    Nymph Fly
    Salmon - Steelhead Fly
    Streamer Fly
    Terrestrial Fly
    Wet Fly

It is with great pleasure, to post the names of those members, who are now graduating as the ?Class of 2005, and become alumni of ?Beginner?s Only Fly Swap?....

Mark Adams, Group 3

Norman Beggs, Group 3
    Michael Belloma, Group 2
    Paul Bent, Group 4
    Tony Buda, Group 3

Wayne Christensen, Group 2
    Randy Collins, Group 2
    James Coward, Group 3
    Brian Crotts, Group 4

John Eaton, Group 1

Jeff Frye, Group 2
    Matt Fuller, Group 4

Kevin Gilroy, Group 3
    Sean Gould, Group 2

Bruce Herb, Group 1
    Charlie Hennigar, Group 4

C J Klenske, Group 3

Diane Maluso, Group 1
    Steve Marshall, Group 1
    Cole Martin, Group 1
    Dev McCabe, Group 3
    Ailsa McIntosh, Group 4
    David McLaren, Group 3
    Brian Miller, Group 1
    Chad Miller, Group 2
    George Miller, Group 4
    Sonny Morgan, Group 4
    Chris Morrison, Group 1

Kevin Payne, Group 2
    Joe Pegnetter, Group 2

Paul Ratcliffe, Group 4
    Jim Roik, Group 2

Patrick Sande, Group 3
    Bruce Schneck, Group 3
    Rick Schlarb, Group 4
    Matt Shackelford, Group 2
    Joshua Sommermeyer, Group 2
    Tim Swihart, Group 1

Bob Widmaier, Group 1
    Darren Wilson, Group 3

Mike Zysk, Group 1

Swapmeisters of FAOL, the members who names that I posted, tie some of the ?Best Dang Flies? you will ever see! They are now Intermediate Fly Tiers, and will be a bonus to any fly swap that you host on FAOL.

~ Swapmeister Parnelli

In Memory of Sonny Morgan, who passed away March 23rd, 2005...

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 17 April 2005).]

Weren't my flies good enough for gradution? I can do some extra credit if that would help.

And thanks to everyone in Group 3 for tying some great flies. I learned a ton by tying flies that I don't normally tie, and had alot of fun doing the swaps.

Big thank you to Parnelli. You are a great swapmeister and teacher.

David McLaren Group 3

[This message has been edited by TXBuzz (edited 17 April 2005).]

I'm very interested in the "beginner's only fly swaps". What do I need to do to become a participant.

Carp

Parnelli,

Thanks for the great swaps you host! Participating in them got me to try all sorts of things I wouldn't have otherwise!

Any new tyers sitting on the fence about this need to sign up!

Thwack

[This message has been edited by Thwack (edited 18 April 2005).]

My apoligy's David, I edited and edited, and thought I had everyone listed. If anything I must say I as a Swapmeister have also on many occasions also learned from the students.

FlyingCarp, the 2006 "Beginner's Only will be offered again this autumn, and I will post the forming of "Beginner's Only Fly Swap", on the Fly Tying and Fly Swap Boards of FAOL. If you wish, you can email me of your interest in the 2006 Beginner's Only Fly Swap at the following address...
    [email:612af]parnelli@comcast.net[/email:612af]

I will inform you (or anyone else that is interested) when I start the the new season in the autumn.

~Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 18 April 2005).]

No problem. Thanks again for hosting such great swaps.

For anyone thinking about joining the new Beginner's group fly swaps, it is a invaluable tool for learning new aspects of flytying that you wouldn't normally do. Lots of fun too.

It was a pleasure and an honor for me to be in the beginners only swaps. I learned an awful lot. I thank all of you for your help. A special thanks to Steve for hosting the swaps and for teaching me so much. I urge anyone just starting to get into tieing flies or wanting to get into it, to participate in Steve's Beginners only swaps. You will find it fun and a very powerful learning experience. Steve will give you a very good critique on your flies that will help you over and over in your future tieing projects. Thanks to Steve I am a much better tier and have been able to host a couple of swaps myself. I know I have much more to learn. I learn a lot on FAOL from all of you. One of the most important things I learned from Steve, was to give to and help others and not to just take and think of only myself. John

------------------
    I wish you everlasting flies and tight lines.

[This message has been edited by bassman (edited 18 April 2005).]
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Parnelli, it was a great experience participating in your # 3 group. I learned much and enjoyed myself plus I have a lot of very nice flies to use or to serve as patterns. THANKS, THANKS THANKS and can I say THANKS

Steve, it was a wonderful experience. Thanks for hosting and thanks for all the help and advice. You run an awesome swap and I know it was a lot of work for you. Thanks a million. And to all the tiers in Group 3, you guys have some real talent. Thanks for sharing it and for giving me new tying ideas.

Sincerely,
    Mark Adams

It is a happy sadness, when people you have helped, move on to do what you taught them to do. I always had a small tear in my eye when I saw my students in the U.S. Army, receive their diploma's, at the end of training. Very similar to seeing your children growup, and start families of their own. Baby Duck has grown to start a family of its own, yet you wish they could always stay Baby Ducks.

It has been a pleasure helping the members of Beginner's Only, achive something that, otherwise would have been more time consuming and difficult.

I am glad, I was able to help each of you, with your advancement in fly tying.

Swapmeister Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread