+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strike Indicators

Default Strike Indicators

I posted this in the fly tying forum, but probably should be in the General category:
    There seems to be a great assortment of STRIKE INDICATORS on the market. I am somewhat new to nymph fishing and am wondering what advice on the indicators from the forum. Tie my own, purchase? material used etc.
    Thanks in advance,
    Michael

You are right about there being a lot of indicators available. It pretty much comes down to a personal preference as to the type you choose to use, if any.

I personally carry several types and select whatever works best for the situation, but generally I use the poly-pro yarn type as they are quickly adjusted up and down the line to put the flies in the zone I'm seeking and I can also get a long drag free drift when using them and they are very sensitive to the slightest takes.

If the water is heavy pocket type--and I elect to use an indicator (which I usually don't because of how close I'm fishing)--I would use a corky type as they float better and don't require continuous floatant application to remain floating in the heavier water.

I will also occasionally use the foam type, but am just experimenting with them to see how well they float, cast, etc.

As to whether to make your own or not, I make all my own Poly-pro indicators and have them in many colors as light, water color, etc makes a difference as to what color is easier to see, especially at the longer distances that you'll often fish with this type of indicator. They are easy to make using o-rings or you can tie your own up using thread. If using o-rings you can make 12-20 in an hour depending upon your dexterity. You can also just cut of hanks of yarn and overhand knot it onto your leader, comb it out and dab it up and fish it that way if you don't want to make any up before going fishing. You can make a good yarn dispenser by using an old film canister and punching/drilling a hole in the lid for the yarn to poke out of.

Mike

Poly yarn strike indicators with rubber O-rings, treated with water shed, and an occasional application of floatant. Cut to different sizes depending on the situation.

Description of how to make them on [url=http://www.globalflyfisher.com.:047f1]http://www.globalflyfisher.com.[/url:047f1]

I like the Orvis strike putty 'cause:

It's easy to put on and move on the leader and doesn't cause kinks when attaching. It also comes in three colors to cover different situations; and it's reusable and one blob lasts me for years.

I also like the fact that I can adjust the size and shape of my indicator. I often mold a miniscule indicator 3-12" above a midge pupa with excellent results.

After that I like yarn attached to the leader with a loop inside a loop but it won't float forever but it is much easier to cast.

I use Palsa foam or very small cork indicators from Lightning Strike. I use white Palsa and yellow or orange corks. The corks are egg shaped and have a piece of colored surgical tubing running through the hollowed out core. You insert the line via a side slit that runs end-to-end and then twist the surgical tubing a couple of turns to secure. So they're easy to adjust.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

I second the Lightening Strike, but they look more like footballs to me.....

------------------
    [url=http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com:f950b]http://dryfly.argodesignstudio.com[/url:f950b]

Don't forget the option of using a dry fly as an indicator. A high floating fly such as an elk hair caddis or a hopper works well. Most commonly the dropper (nymph) is suspended from a length of tippet attached to the bend of the dry fly hook. The advantages are many - they do not seem to scare fish as badly in slow clear water, they will act as attractors that bring fish to the nymph, and sometimes you will even catch fish on them. The disadvantage is that I at least have never figured out a system that makes it easy to adjust the depth between the attractor and the dropper.

David

I like these indicators because they float much better than the yarn ones and they do not get waterlogged. That way, I don't have to false cast to dry them, and can make one upstream cast to fish a run again (and reduce chance of the line spooking any fish).

One note of caution... I think they really twist up the line and leader. After I'm done nymphing, I always have to remove all the twisting in the line... anyone else have this problem?

Edit: Cabela's sells them, search for Strike indicators

[This message has been edited by Hextall (edited 18 April 2005).]

Yeah, they do look more like a football...actually a rugby ball.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

I agree with Hextall in choice of indicators, they are the only ones I use. I dont like the yarn because they get waterlogged. I havent had much trouble them twisting the line. I dont use indicators often since I dont nymph fish much but these are my choice.

------------------
    Take care everyone and cya around. Mark
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

+ Reply to Thread