+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swap Question

Default Swap Question

When I hosted a swap last fall, a couple of the swappers sent me their flies in a large 8 1/2 by 11 envelop bent in half. My address was on the outside, and when you cut the tape and flipped the envelope the other way over, the mailer's address was on the inside. Replace the box, tape it up and off it went. Postage was right on it. Wow. Cheap. Effective. Cool. My first few swaps using this method worked perfectly, then last week I got my Tom Nixon swap back minus the Altoid can. Somewhere in the system the envelope ripped and the can escaped to provide the USPS Gods some wonderful flies. My question is obvious: how do you mail your swap flies? I've finally got the toe-tagging system down, but not the mailing system. I'll lurk and watch for your answers (although I'm sure somewhere in this vast cache of internet data Castwell will slide in a reference from years' past). Thanks. JGW

[This message has been edited by white43 (edited 13 March 2005).]

I'll tell you the shipping if you tell me how to toe tag. I work for USPS as a carrier. It is my opinion the best way to ship is Priority mail. I know it cost more but it is faster and safer. You can order a video shipping box for free on USPS.com than I use a fly box to ship my flies in. The shipping I go to usps.com again for click and ship you can get free delivery confirmation. I than print a return label to send it back to me. You can pay for this with a credit card. Which I just use my debit card that is both so it comes out of my bank account. I know to much info.
    I'll keep an eye out for your flies. lol

------------------
    "Life's journey is not to arrive in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, "Shouting ...Holy ****...what a ride!"
    "Life's journey is not to arrive in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, "Shouting....Holy S**t....what a ride!"

Not As Lean Not As Mean But Still a Marine - Marine Your Best Friend Your Worst Enemy

Toe tagging? My method is to use a word processing software. I use Quark on a MAC because i don't have a printer at home. I type in my fly 10 pt. using a Times font. My name "White43" -- then the recipe of the fly. I'll type in 10 pt. then reduce it to about 8 or 7 pt. Copy the first, and then paste it for the total number of flies in the swap. Use a paper cutter or scissors to snip them apart and simply thread the paper through the hook point. Thanks for the video box tip. JGW

White,

Just my opinion: US Priority Mail. You get the box free and the cost is usually $3.85 (as of today for minimum weight). Safe, secure and gets there in 2-3 days.

Allan

I have used the method you mentioned of folding over the envelope for several years with no problems. I usually write instructions on the outside for the swapmeister to cut the tape to reuse the envelope. If it is taped up well for the return trip, it should be secure. All that being said, the mail is most often handeled with machines and things can get caught and torn open. I also have my name, address and email address on the inside of the fly container just in case.

Jim Smith

I put TO and FROM addresses with postage attached on the box as well as the envelope.

I have participated in 35 plus swaps without a problem (knock on wood - I'll just use my head) by packaging flies in (usually) an Altoids tin, or in some cases a small cardboard or single compartment plastic Plano box (approximately 4-5/8"L, 3-1/8" W, 1"D) - if the flies are streamer or saltwater types, etc. To this I attack labels, inside and out, with name, address, e-mail, and I guess you could include your phone number, if desired. This container is then placed inside a 6" x 9" bubble wrap envelope (obtainable almost everywhere). I find it easier to attach stick-on 'to' and 'from' labels rather than trying to write on the bubble wrap envelope itself, even thought they have spots to fill in this information. Over these labels (and over the self stick end closure when the envelope is finally sealed) I put a strip of clear packing tape. I insert another similarly prepared return envelope, folded in half, with postage stamps affixed, inside the mailing envelope with the Altoids tin.

Sometimes the swapmiester will apply tape over the return envelopes self seal closure and sometimes not, but I have not had any problems with this method, for what it's worth.

When sending the packages I take them to the P.O. and have them calculate the 1st class postage. This has given me a rough idea of how much in stamps to apply to the return envelope - usually a dollar is more than sufficient. It's cheaper than Priority Mail - and usually gets to the destinations pretty quick.

------------------
    Dennis ~BadBug~

my experience has been that first class mail is generally faster than priority and considerably cheaper.

I package as badbug said above, though in lieu of postage I include a buck to cover it. two if'n the mail's headed fro canada.

it shouldn't be a problem, unless you choose to mail w/out using the bubble wrap containers. then sometimes shlitz gets lost.

I've participated in contless swaps and have hosted numerous others and have only had flies lost on two occasions that I can remember. both were with manilla, non-bubble mailers. there's a lesson in that.

I tape the bubble mailers shut too. makes sense to me.

mgj

If you go into the arts and crafts section at Wally World, they have little boxes that are in different sizes for about 75 cents each. I do a tying column for a club newsletter and use these to ship the pattern and recipe to the club secretary and she handles all the writing for the newsletter. The recipe page fits inside the box with no problem and then I mail them in the manila envelopes with the bubble wrap lining. Also bought at Wal-Mart for less than a buck.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

I also use the tape boxes from USPS. I place my fly box in the tape box, with my address on the "to" and "from" areas. Go to the post office and pay for the postage on that box. Then I add it to a large envelope addressed to the swapmaster, and pay for that postage.

Yonks

+ Reply to Thread