+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tongariro and Taupo

Default Tongariro and Taupo

For all you guys who are thinking of heading to N.Z. any time soon, the fishing in the last week or so has realy picked up with plenty of fresh run Rainbows and the odd big Brownie being hooked most days, try to get there just before or just after a good downpoor and you almost can't miss. The winter is only just getting under way and the runs will just get better and better over the next few months.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Hi Mike,

That's great news! My wife and I are heading down for Queen's Birthday Weekend after work today!

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Well Jeff, I hope you get a few, there is another low on its way so there could even be another run on this weekend. If you are not already a member of the T.A.L.T.A.C club pop round to the club rooms and have a look, just introduce yourself to anyone there and I am sure they will show you around. Members have accommodation there at $15 per night, its a bargain and the members are a good bunch of guys and ladies. The club is on the right side of the road that leads to the Major Jones swingbridge.
    All the best.
    Mike.
    Best of luck.
    Mike.

Hi Mike,
    Missed your post until now. Thanks for the invitation to the club. I'm a member of the Auckland Fresh Water Angler's Club, and we have a club "hut" (house) that we use while there. Anyway, I fished Saturday and Sunday (in the rain on Sunday) and had no luck, but a lot of fun. Didn't see many fish taken (I think I saw 3 fish landed; one fairly small, the other two good sized but not huge; maybe 2 to 3 kgs?). I thrashed about with all sorts of nymphs and wet-lined a number of different streamers for variety, mostly around Island pool and worked my up to Breakfast pool. But, the river was crowded enough that it was getting hard to find a spot to stand.

With the rain that came down, however, there should be a good run come up this week. Too bad I'm back in Auckland now!

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Jeff, glad to hear you had a great time and were not washed away by Fridays flush out from Genesis.
    All the best.
    Mike.

+ Reply to Thread