+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trout fishing at Muddy Creek

Default Trout fishing at Muddy Creek

I fished Muddy Creek, in central PA this weekend. Wow!! what a wonderful time. I caught and released 48 trout yesterday, Sat, and 39 trout today.

About 60 browns, 20 brookies, and 7 rainbows. All the fish were caught with a fly rod. I use a 8' Avid 3wt.

A great moment today was when spin fisherman using UL nice tackle with a tiny roostertail was casting in a pool and didn't catch anything. He was casting across and upstream and looked like a pro....... except he had a trout on a metal stringer. One small brown, but he looked so proud of the tiny dead fish. I didn't tell him that I already caught and released 20.

When he moved downstream, I caught and released 2 nice brownies with my fly rod..... from the same pool he just left!! The guy saw me catch the first one, and when he saw me unhook the trout while still in the water, he took off!!

I'm convinced that trout love minnows, even better than nymphs or dries.... but all the streamers are way too big for creek trout.... so I tied some 1/120 micro jigs with marabou and wet hackle to make a realistic 1/2" minnow streamer. The trout smack it every time it hits the water!!

This is a huge advantage we fly guys have over the spin guys. We can use a tiny minnow with a perfect presentation, and a controlled depth on retrieve..... the spin guys have to cast heavy metal and retrieve back every time they cast! LOL if they don't get caught on the bottom!

I always take lots of pix, but ...... how do I post digital pix on this report?

Any help from you hackers would be greatly appreciated. Just post something in the reply, and I'll put some great pix on this site!

Fish On

------------------

Well, one pix might be nice. You need to post it on another site then link it to here tho.

J Cast,

How do I put on another site, then put the pic here?

Thanks in advance

Nice report my Hero. Go to [url=http://www.photobucket.com/:41d58]http://www.photobucket.com/[/url:41d58] and open an account and then you can upload your pic . Copy the location of the pic at photobucket and then paste in your post here. Add [img]your pasted location [/img] and whala the image will appear.

I like to see a pic of your minnow. I caught 3 Browns today in out Wiscoy creek and was thrilled. You blew me away great day.

Enjoy

Philip

[This message has been edited by old geezer (edited 16 May 2006).]
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

[This message has been edited by J Castwell (edited 16 May 2006).]

Thanks Geezer,

The first couple times the pix didn't appear, and this time they are very big!! LOL ..... I wonder if I could reduce the size of the pictures to fit this site? I have a digital camera and I take it with me every time I go fishing, I must have over a thousand pix of trout with my fly rod, and a thousand smallmouth bass ..... and a thousand striper pix!! Cameras are a beautiful thing. I'll be posting lot's of pix on this site in the future.

I'll take a pic of the tiny streamer and post it on this site...... I'll get the vice and lights out tomorrow, and see what happens.

This weekend I'll hit another trout stream, and send a picture report.

Fish On, Longrodders,
    the last Working Class Hero

Like I said,,,, one pix might be nice...

+ Reply to Thread