+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For Central and South Central Florida

Default For Central and South Central Florida

FYI,

Its getting cooler and before long Specks (Crappie, Calico, etc.) will be moving to the shallows to bed as soon as the water temperature gets into the 60s range. The bite will definately improve for LMB, bream, Specks, and other warm water fish as the weather cools down. I expect and anticipate some great top-water action in warm water for LMB and bream this upcoming Fall, Winter, and Spring season as the water gets cooler. This article in the Highlands Today section of the Tampa Tribune hints at a great upcoming season and while it deals with lakes, it fails to mention rivers, creeks, and canals. It also leans too heavily on conventional tackle and bass fishing given the ProBass fishing circuit here but is still relevant. Article link below.
    [url=http://highlands.tbo.com/MGBLZNRNKDE.html:3cbfd]http://highlands.tbo.com/MGBLZNRNKDE.html[/url:3cbfd]

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

More from the Tampa Tribune Highlands Today newspaper on Specks as weather cools. October 19
    [url=http://highlands.tbo.com/sports/MGB0UUAPYEE.html:7d440]http://highlands.tbo.com/sports/MGB0UUAPYEE.html[/url:7d440]

October 26 (not available on web-site) First four paragraphs of Cold Brings More Bites By D.O. Norton:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The cold weather has finally arrived! Most of the fishing report is based on what was happening prior to the recent cold weather, so I'm sure situations have changed.

Prior to the cold weather coming into Highlands County, plenty of good catches had been reported at all the area lakes, with Lake Istokpoga results being just short of incredible!

Now that the cooler evenings are here, both largemouth bass and specks will begin moving into the shallower water to feed.

It was 52 degrees this morning (Tuesday) on my way into the store at 8 a.m. and the weather report indicates tonight will be even cooler, perhaps in the high forties. These cold nights will cool the water quickly in the shallower lakes, and even the deeper lakes will cool over the next week or two.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Individual Highlands County lake reports and current ratings followed.

Lake Walk-in-Water(Polk County): Rating A
    Lake Jackson: Rating B
    Glenada Lake: Rating B
    Lake June: Rating B
    Lake Arbuckle: Rating C+
    Lake Lotela: Rating C-

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 26 October 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Seriously, JC? Or are you just pulling my leg ?

I figure if someone happens to be heading down this way on a trip or something, it might help them out . Seems like all I ever see about Florida Fishing Reports for the most part is only saltwater.

I saw at the bottom of the October 19th Cool Nights Equal Hot Bites article where Red (D.O. "Red" Norton) is closing his fishing shop so I guess I'll have to go to Avon Park and find out from him why. Probably same reason most fishing shops do around here. Can't compete with Wal-Mart prices. I hope he keeps writing the articles for the paper. Outback tackle shop south of Sebring and north of the town of Lake Placid is the only shop that seems to survive. It is a little more diversified with boat sales so that might be why it has lasted so long.

REDS Fishing Tackle: REDS Fishing Tackle, located on Route 27, across the street from Publix in Avon Park, is closing. Beginning today (Oct. 19), all merchandise, furniture and fixtures will be marked down for immediate sale.
    ------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 26 October 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I talked to D.O. "Red" Norton at his tackle shop in Avon Park. From what I gathered, if he can make enough in his clearance sale, he may keep his tackle shop open. That's the bad news since there is a possibility even with Christmas that he may not be able to do so . So he's trying to get the word out about the clearance so he can make the sales he needs. He seems to think his slumping sales have more to do with high gas prices and blowicanes than with competitors.

Now for the good news . He says he will continue to write his fishing report articles for the newspaper .

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I buy some of Red's stuff when I can and when I need it and I did give him CUDOs for his writing and service to the angling community. I will endevour to spread the word about his clearance sale to help him out. He hasn't stocked fly gear until this past year when his stock went up. I think his large inventory (for a small tackle shop) might be part of his problem. I was very glad to hear that he would continue to write his fishing report articles for the newspaper. I will continue to post his reports when I can. Thanks, JC, for letting me know that the articles are valued here.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 28 October 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Hey Robert,

Especially those within a couple of
    states travel that might see an opportunity
    to swap a guided fishing trip with someone
    we have grown to respect.*G* Keep it up!
    Warm regards, Jim

New report (link) for November 2.
    [url=http://highlands.tbo.com/MGB51SIPIFE.html:8bf7a]http://highlands.tbo.com/MGB51SIPIFE.html[/url:8bf7a]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Lake Jackson. This lake has never slowed down according to one of it?s daily fishermen, Paul Tardiff. ?I catch bass every day that I fish this incredible lake,? he told me recently, ?and anybody else can catch them if they?ll just come out and give it a try.?

Crankbaits and plastic worms in four to eight feet of water produce well for him and other fishermen, with spinnerbaits and buzzbaits working well on schooling fish.

No reports of speck fishing on the Sebring lake but locals know there are plenty of fish there, they just haven?t schooled up yet. Lake Jackson used to be known for it?s bass fishing and yearlong speck fishing. Although the lake has lost a lot of its appeal as a bass fishing lake, many of the northern visitors fish the lake heavily through the winter months for its large speck population.
    Current Rating B.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A note from me on Lake Jackson. This is a lake I fish regularly also. The report on this lake is right on target. However, I would not say that "the lake has lost a lot of its appeal as a bass fishing lake." At least, not from what I've seen. Maybe Red is referring to loosing its appeal as a ProBass circuit lake. That is fine with me if that's the case . This past Summer (the off-season), the bite for most any kind of fish on most any lake was poor as to be expected with the high heat except for very early or very late in the day. The bass are there and there are some really big ones on this lake. I lost a "Hawg" on Little Lake Jackson last season because I had old line that broke . There have recently been a lot of small schooling bass that have been fun to catch as the bite is now slowly picking up.

The Specks are also on this lake in large numbers and can usually be caught year round but the Speck bite has been poor lately probably due to the fact that they haven't schooled up yet after the heat of Summer as the article stated. Running the fish/depth finder on the lake over the Summer proved this as there was no kind of fish schooling at all to be seen. This should change for the better as the weather and water get into the 60s range. It is easy to spot the Speck anglers on this lake. Just look for all the groups of boats in the middle of the lake during Winter .

This is a very active recreational lake with all manner of boat traffic, especially on the weekends. Skiing, Sailing, power boat-tubing, swimming, body-boarding, boat riding, and so on. I would not recommend fishing this lake during weekends or holidays at peak traffic times. It is a big lake so all the activity rarely affects anglers as there is usually plenty of room for everybody. But I'm sure conflicts do occur from time to time when traffic is very heavy. There are three public swimming beaches, Crescent Beach (public pier), Hidden Beach (limited parking), and Veterans Beach (public boat ramp).

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 02 November 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

The November 9th Highlands Today Fishing Report follows Bites Hard To Come By:
    [url=http://highlands.tbo.com/MGBIFEXVSFE.html:a09dc]http://highlands.tbo.com/MGBIFEXVSFE.html[/url:a09dc]

The article is dead on. Reports from Lake Istokpoga this past week where that the Specks just aren't biting and my fishing buddy and me didn't get any last week either (we were not on Istokpoga). This week seems to be a little better with catches that are few and far between but at least they are catches. The Speck bite is spotty, on and off it seems right now throughout Highlands County. They do not seem to want any lure or fly right now and then only the occasional live minnow . They are schooling but many are still scattered. Surface water temperature is around 74 to 77 degrees depending on time of day. That means most of the Specks are still in deep water where its cooler. Not really low enough yet it seems for them to move to the shallows or to get into a feeding mood.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 10 November 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I enjoy reading fishing reports - both for places that I may someday fish and places I know I will never make it to.......

Thanks for taking the time to post them.

+ Reply to Thread