+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Huge Trout Sighted

Default Huge Trout Sighted

Saw a huge trout 25 to 30 inches come completely out of the water on the Cohocton River Sept 17th. Heard a report of a 27 incher caught in the late spring or early summer.

Over 150 juvenile (wild) trout were caught by a small group of Hornell, NY fishers. I asked a fisheries biologist if the wild trout are more likely to survive the winter than the stockies and he said "probably".

Looks like the fish came through the summer doldrums ok. After an exceptionally cool spring, summer heat was also excessive.

Cayuta Creek has held good numbers of fish through the summer. Don't know much about the wild fish there but there is natural reproduction in some feeder streams.

Ol' Bill

OB-

Where do you fish the Cohocton? I've fished it a few times around the VA in Bath, but only managed a few bass here and there. Saw a trout or two, but nothing was buying what I was selling. I'm in Maryland now, so not much of a chance to fish there anymore, but when I'm in the area again (folks live in Rochester), it would be fun to "hook up!"

Marty

Marty,
    The Cohocton is a good stream but fish like the one I saw Saturday are very few and far between.

I help stock and can say that most of what we stock are gone a few weeks after stocking! We stock some two year olds that are so stupid that they are almost completely gone in a matter of two weeks. I wonder if the few biggies are the result of the two year old stocking or the smaller young-of-the-year or possibly both.

Your fortune on the Cohocton would probably be consistant with that on the Gunpowder River.
    I'll send You an E mail.

Ol' Bill

[This message has been edited by snipe (edited 19 September 2005).]

Thanks Bill. I grew up in Rochester and had a blast fishing up there (especially Sept thru May, browns, salmon, and steelies). Got your email - will be in touch when I have some free time up that way!

Take care!

Marty

+ Reply to Thread