+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rangeley Lakes, Maine

Default Rangeley Lakes, Maine

Fished Quimby Pond for Brookies, skunked
    Fished the Kennebego for Salmon and Browns, skunked
    Fished the Dead River for Brookies, skunked

Had a great time even though I went fishless (unless you count two Chubs that did not add up to a total of 8" in length). Going back around Labor Day to try again.

jed

Jed, when did you fish this area and what did you fish it with?

I fished the area on July 4th weekend. I used every fly I owned, or it seemed like. I tried Hornbergs, Parmachene Belle and Micky Finn streamers. I tried Soft hackle emergers in Green, Orange and Yellow. I tried Hares Ear Nymphs. For Dries I tried Lt. Cahills, Parmachene Belles and some midges. I did not try Elk Hare Caddis or Wooly Buggers, which were on my list but for some reason I never tied them on to the line.

Any suggestions for Labor Day would be appreciated.

jed

Wow sounds like you tried all but the kitchen sink. Try a Maple Syrup in the ponds next time you are there. You can fish it just under the surface or use a sinking line.

Were any fish rising on bugs?

I was up on the WB of the Penobscot about the third week of June and had good luck on salmon. Caddis patterns seem to work the best there.

[This message has been edited by maineguide (edited 15 July 2005).]

There were very spurratic rises on the pond and no visible hatch. On the River there was no rises at all. I am hoping that there will be some salmon action in Late August or Early Sept as the water cools down. July is never the best of months to fish, or more accurately it is never the best of months to catch.

jed

I was up there last year in late June and had similar results. After I was done fishing, I chatted up the owner of the place I was staying (and fellow fly fisher) who said he's found the Dead and Kennebec that the fish aren't that well educated, so it's not so much what you throw at them, but where you're throwing it. I had just started tying my own flies at the time, and he said that my wooly buggers and other crude streamers fished as deep as I could get them would probably do the trick. I can't wait to get back up there and try!

njfg,
    I'll let you know after Labor day if the fishing is any different. I am hoping the water will cool off and the Salmon will start moving up the rivers.

jed

+ Reply to Thread