Went out to mineral lake to test the modifications to the driftboat (new flat deck and seat boxes), and try and catch some rainbows. The lake was warmer than I had remembered, and the trout fishing was very slow. Wolley buggers, chironomids, even damsels didnt work. My wife and I kept seeing little fish splashing the surface near some fallen trees, and went over for a look. I tied a small mayfly dry, and dropped a midge pupa 2' below it. Well the dry went under, and I set the hook. As I brought the fish to hand, I noticed a neat black stripe running down the side of the fish. Upon closer inspection, it was a largemouth bass! My first on a fly. I immediately switch to a sheep hair baitfish fly I had tied to immitate salmon smolt. Well on the first cast had 3 10" bass chase the fly, and one took it right next to the boat. I ended up landing quite a few bass, with one pushing 12". Seemed the faster I stripped the fly, the more fish I got. I did see a bigger one swim away as we got too close with the boat, and he must of been at least 16". They were all very well fed, and scrappy fighters.

It was really neat to have had to adapt to the fishing, and changing tactics to really start catching them. I had never taken a bass on a fly, so that was icing on the cake. While the trout fishing was a bust, we at least had a great time with the bass. I am now going to have to tie some better bass flies, as these guys were a blast on my 4 weight, and I can see myself there again!

Had fun, Jeff

------------------
Tis my time on the water, in the mountains, and in my driftboat where I can see things as they really are.