BigCliff,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana">quote:</font><HR>I have to ask, woudln't those of you who use this technique want the hook to have a barb on it since there is no tension holding it in the fish's jaw?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I often use barbless and don't even think about it. I fell more confortable with a barbless on slack line in the jaw of a really calm trout, than a barbless in the mouth of a fighting, jumping, head shaking monster.

I use this tech to calm down the fish (and sometimes for photo opps). With a light tippet, it pays to be polite and patient. Once a lunker decides to settle down in a lie, you just have to wait him out sometimes.

I once had a client on a 6lb tippet, connected to a +14lb salmon. The fish settled down. Each time we tried to put a bit of pressure on , it ran. Finally settled into a draw on the other side of the #23 pool. We had to throw a rock to get it to come out as I knew if we pulled, it'd bolt.

Patience, ... a nice 18 lb salmon on light tippets take up to an hour to land (for C&BBQ) C&R we wouldn't use such light stuff.

------------------
Christopher Chin
Jonquiere Quebec