+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slack line reeling

I've heard this technique being used when bass are hooked in cover with deep water near by. The hook is set, and then slack is given, and the fish will instictively go for the deeper water (which is generally open and less snagful)

I have to ask, woudln't those of you who use this technique want the hook to have a barb on it since there is no tension holding it in the fish's jaw?

BigCliff,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana">quote:</font><HR>I have to ask, woudln't those of you who use this technique want the hook to have a barb on it since there is no tension holding it in the fish's jaw?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I often use barbless and don't even think about it. I fell more confortable with a barbless on slack line in the jaw of a really calm trout, than a barbless in the mouth of a fighting, jumping, head shaking monster.

I use this tech to calm down the fish (and sometimes for photo opps). With a light tippet, it pays to be polite and patient. Once a lunker decides to settle down in a lie, you just have to wait him out sometimes.

I once had a client on a 6lb tippet, connected to a +14lb salmon. The fish settled down. Each time we tried to put a bit of pressure on , it ran. Finally settled into a draw on the other side of the #23 pool. We had to throw a rock to get it to come out as I knew if we pulled, it'd bolt.

Patience, ... a nice 18 lb salmon on light tippets take up to an hour to land (for C&BBQ) C&R we wouldn't use such light stuff.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    Christopher Chin

A friend of mine from Hornell NY hooked a nice 17 inch brown a few years back and discovered that he had left his camera in his car. He gave the fish a little slack and walked back for the camera (about 200 feet). when he got back to his rod he found the fish in the same lie and still rising to the flies that were hatching.

Ol' Bill

JC,
    I guess I didn't mention that I don't use this technique on every fish, just those where I have a lot of slack or a tangle in my line. I try not to leave a hook in a fish any longer than I have to.

Larry Compton

+ Reply to Thread