This may be a dumb question, then again maybe not... As a relative newcomer to the sport and a self admitted equipment junkie, I was wondering if the amount of line that is cast (or said to be cast) includes the leader and tippet length? For example Scott's website (and others, but since I just bought a Scott, I'll start there) claims that the actions of their rods are dermined by how much the rod flexes with "30 feet of line". OK, fine. But is this 30 feet of fly line PLUS the leader-tippet combo of say 10 feet for a total of 40 feet. OR, is this 20 feet of fly line plus 10 feet of leader-tippet? I would have to assume it is the first, but, I was taught never to assume anything!

This kind of leads in to a related question of "How far can you cast?" When determining how far you can (or do) cast, are you saying flyline only or fly line and leader combo? If Steve Rajeff can cast 100'... can he really cast 110' with leader?

I realize that this fodder for an idle (and anal!) mind, and I can't cast more than 50' anyway (including the leader!!!) but what the heck, I thought I'd ask.

Thanks and I'll take your answer off the air...