+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flows on the San Juan

Default Flows on the San Juan

I was planning a trip to the San Juan in mid May but I heard a rumor that they were planning to flush-out the river by upping the flows to 5000cfs starting in late April. Now when I have been there in the past a 550cfs flow was enough to keep me stepping carefully I can?t imagine fishing that river at over 5000cfs. Has any one else heard about this or have I perhaps gotten bad information.

Thanks-

Fred

------------------

Check the bulletin board at ifly4trout.com.
    Good luck,
    McD

Mid May is an outstanding time on the river-baetis galore.

I was trying to get there then myslef, and I did not hear this.

The San Juan mountains got a lot of snow this past winter, about 50% above the norm.

Fred,

Yep, you'll have high flows when you're planning your trip. Here's a tentative schedule. Starting April 27th, the BOR will increase the flows for run-off.

April 28 >>>> 1,000cfs -Still very fishable, and not much difference from the 500cfs you may be used to.

May 4th >>>>> 2,000cfs -Most of the popular holes will still fish the same, but will be about 1.5ft deeper and the flow will be swift.

May 11th >>>>> 3,000cfs - This is on the cusp of safe wade fishing. Only fish this flow if you feel confident in your wading abilities, or with a competent guide.

May 25th-June 14th >>>>>5,0000cfs - This is too dangerous to wade fish unless you know the river well, are an EXCELLENT wader, or have a guide. However, float trips will be great during this period with several big fish, and less crowds than at any other time of the year.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

------------------
    Jude
    Small flies work best. Elephants eat peanuts.
    www.customflys.com

Jude,
    any ideas on how long it takes SJ fish acclimate to higher flow rates? I was thinking of hitting in on the 30th, but I'm worried that's too close to the release increase date.

Thanks Jude-

Since I just got over a shredded achllies tendon having to be reconstructed due to a misstep on a fishing trip I might forgo the Juan this year and find a calmer tailwater and go back to the Juan in the fall.

Fred

------------------

Fred,

Yeah, I'd say you'd be better off at a more stable river. Check out the USGS web site for current flow information on any river you plan to fish. Many of the rivers and even most tailwaters will be blown out because we've had so much snow.

Taos,

You'd be just fine fishing two days after the increase. The fish will adjust pretty quick. Say a day or so. They've been off a little lately because of the colder run-off coming into the lake, so I don't think the increases will put them off too much compared to previous years. I'd say you'd be safe. You can always e-mail me before, and I can give you an updated report.

------------------
    Jude
    Small flies work best. Elephants eat peanuts.
    www.customflys.com

fish the backwaters when the flow gets that high. Places that are normally footpaths can hold some nice fish.
    john

+ Reply to Thread