+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vested or not

Default Vested or not

Ok, is it just me bein a redneck or what?
    How many fly fishing purist are out there. Ok I admit a vest is great for carrying all the little thing-a-ma-jigs and doohickies that go along with fly fishing BUUUTTTTTT, I live in North Alabama and it gets hot here. Damn hot. Last week it broke 100 degrees with 86% humidity. I tried the vest one time, and had to check the tag to make sure it didn't say " Lodge personal sauna". I didn't have a dry stitch on anywhere, specially not up top. So is it too weenie of me to opt for a fanny pack thrown over the left shoulder? And let's not even talk about the looks ya get wearin a vest like that. Ya just don't see many of those around here.

------------------
    If fishing was crack, I'd be a crack maniac

Hi Bubba and welcome to the group!

I have an old cotton duck vest but I mainly use my fanny pack. I live in Oklahoma and we suffer from the 100/100's here during the summer. No way am I wearing a vest on top of a good vented shirt when it's that hot!

You'll enjoy this outfit! I've learned so much in the short time I've been here and I don't think I've managed to tick anyone off with my newbie questions yet. :0)

Welcome,
    Terry

Try a lanyard...

Hi Bubba and welcome. Just remember no cleats in the club house and to chop the wood for the fire!!
    Just fished a few day in South TN and a vented light weight shirt with big pockets worked well. My vest is a Hodgman mesh which breathes well but the sun burn looks sort of like ya got strained through a screen door!!

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

I gave up wearing a vest several years ago for that very reason. I found a vest way too hot and that they "pull" on my neck giving me a headache. I switched to a fanny pack made for fly fishing and love it. The only time I wear a vest now is when I am wading and that is a shorty vest.

Jim Smith
    Georgia

What Jack said.

If it doesn't fit in a shirt pocket, it doesn't go.

Jim

Ditto to Jim Smith . My fanny pack is a lightweight nylon type I've had for years (small camera case with a loop goes on the pack belt). Only time I really would use my shorty vest is if its Georgia mountain trout fishing where it can get pretty cold up there.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I use a Clear Creek Chest vest. It is ultra modern nylong, holds tons of stuff and has a back piece too. If you are rotund guy, this is great. One size fits all and it really works. Only issue is the color, I am not overly fond of burnt bronze but I am getting use to it. Price aprox. $45.00. I used a cotton filson type vest for years, it finally rusted, gave out. Remember, trout don't care what your wear or how much it cost. Jonezee

------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Bubba,

Here in Upstate South Carolina we get our share of hot weather too. The vest question, for me, depends on how far from the car I plan to fish. If it's only going to be a half mile or so, I stuff most of my fishing gear in my pockets and leave the rain gear and vest, etc. in the car. If I'm going to be a mile or more away, I bite the bullet and wear my vest with all my gear. It would take too long to walk back to the car and get whatever I might need, particularly the flask . 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Mesh vest

+ Reply to Thread