+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie Gal

Default Newbie Gal

Hey all,
    I'm a newbie here, just introducing myself. I am quite new to fly fishing, my Prince has been working with me, and my casting still sucks......I bring my rod too far back, and am trying to break myself of that habit....any advice???

Welcome aboard Fishin Princess. Newbie's have to make the coffee and sweep out the club house. Wipe your feet and no cleats allowed!
    The old method was to put a book between your elbow and side and not drop the book. another method is to strap your upper arm down and let your shoulder stop the back cast!
    After losing so many books (they get soggy and very hard to read) I opted for the tie it down method!!
    Check out Fly Fishing 101 over in Fly "Fishing Basics". I also have a good Cortland fly fishing Tactics & Techniques DVD that I'll share. Just send me your Snail Mail address.

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

[This message has been edited by Jack Hise (edited 12 July 2006).]

Welcome, There are a anumber of things that can cause that so it is had to say. That said newbes often let their wrists bend back on the back cast. Try to visulize your thumb on you backcast and don't let it go past vertical. I always recommend Joan Wulffs video "Dynamics of fly casting" It starts out with how to hold you fly rod and takes through advanced casting. It is set up in chapters so you can prtactice each section before going on to the next.Who knows you may end up casting better than your Prince.

[This message has been edited by okflyfisher (edited 12 July 2006).]

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Fishin Princess,

Welcome to the group. Let us hear from you on a regular basis. You got here just in time to enjoy our new green faces. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Thanks for all the tips, I will be checking them out, I have a large school field out my back yard, maybe I could try the book trick without getting it soggy!!

Blog Entries

welcome aboard!

There are so many ways to relate the mechanics and dynamics of casting. Once you get the hang of it, it all starts to make sense.

One analogy that I like to use is to imagine painting the ceiling with the rod as the long handle with a paint roller on the end.

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:49f59]Sweetness On The Water[/url:49f59]
    [url=http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/bgl/:49f59]Good Ol? Lepomis Macrochirus[/url:49f59]

FP, enjoy every moment on the water with your prince of happiness. It will all fall into place as time goes bye. Get the knots down, and the drifts down.

Welcome Fishin Princess

Philip

------------------
    Excuse my spelling and Gramma, I hooked mondays and Fridays so I could either hunt or fish.
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Welcome to the Warm Water Forum . Like Robin, when my casting is off I try to go back to my old basic system of the "clock". Of course the clock (O'clock) system settings (the rod is the clock hand) can change depending on what kind of loop (open or closed) I want to cast (forearm only).

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 13 July 2006).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Like JC says, "Keepeth thy backcast uppeth". (not backeth)
    Welcome....
    ....lee s.

Need help with casting? try this. [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/cst/cst3498.html:6bdd2]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/cst/cst3498.html[/url:6bdd2]

It's worked for my wife.

Bill

------------------
    Name indicates where I fish and for what I fish.
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

+ Reply to Thread