+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kayak or float tube for PWC

Default kayak or float tube for PWC

1 year ago I bought a kayak and tried it out flyfishing. It's allright but my back hurts and I have a hard time casting. Plus it seems to drift very quickly. You have to work at it to keep it in position and it isn't fun to fish, it is fun to view the scenery. I'm getting ready to put an ancor system on it but my back will still hurt. Are float tubes any better for a bad lower back. I'm not ready to spend the money on a hobie with the pedal system yet. This sport is very, very expensive.

Thanks for the input

I had back surgery a few years ago and before it float tubing did not particularly aggravate it ... and after the surgery I was able to float tube pretty quickly...and the kicking activity seemed to help....but beware..there are so many variables that it is very individual...e.g. slumping did not bother me but it would a lot of folks with bad backs....also some sitting bothers , others standing, others walking, and it goes on...not much help was I....

Sitting with my legs flat in front of me hurts my back. If float tubes have back support they would be better than the sit in type kayak. I don't konw if the sit on top type would be better. Probably a little. I bought a kayak because of the lightweight portability. I have to fight with my daughter to share it.

I assume that you have a built in seat or have purchased a seat with a back support. I have had some back issues and the only porblem I find is my butt gets numb after 4 or so hours.

Casting for me was improved by raising my armtoabove shoulder height and casting with mostly elbow movement. I also learned to aim the f and b casts HIGH.

In more that 5 MPH wind an anchor is necessary if you want to be immobile. There are many sites that will show you how to set one up or you can use Joe Hydes canoe method ( I do). >>> [url=http://kayakfishingstuff.com/:d5bea]http://kayakfishingstuff.com/[/url:d5bea]

love the yak,

Well, I am partial to canoes myself. Now when I say canoe I don't mean a big aluminum canoe or other big tandem canoes. I use a solo canoe, single seat. Mine is 16 ft long and 30 inches or so wide. I like the raised seat a canoe offers as well as the gear storage and accesesability. I typically paddle in a kneeling position, but I do paddle legs stretched out or crossed. You can change you sitting position I guess is the bottom line. I also like being able to sit up on my knees, I can typically get a better view of the water so I can see the fish when sight casting or looking down river for hazards.

Now for the down side, even though my canoe has fairly low sides, the wind can be a real pain, definetly more windage (is that a word?) Using an anchor and an anchor trolley I can typically get set up in a tolerable position to fish. I have a drift sock as well but have not ever used it, but suppose under the right conditions, it could work.

Perhaps you can put a different seat back in your kayak. I had a Wilderness Systems Pungo with an excellent seat, just as an example. Some back bands are ratcheting or otherwise adjustable and can be placed firmly against the lower back. If your kayak is plastic, it's a simple matter to drill attachments for a new seatback.

If you decide to go with a canoe, you can also get a supportive seat back for that. I have, and it eliminates my lower back pain.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

I have a WS Tarpon 120. I think the WS kayaks are known for having a good seat back, and I think that makes a difference.

I actually have no or very few problems sitting in it for hours at a time. I am not a "spring chicken" either. The place I've been fishing mostly has *no* shore access except at the launch area -- so I pack a lunch, put it in the hatch and eat on the water. I just paddle out where the wind can blow me for awhile and hang my legs over one side of the 'yak during lunch.

You could try getting a different or better seat. I also have an inflatable seat cushion and I think that really helps.

When fly casting, I usually stick one leg over each side of the kayak, and that gives me a more stable platform to cast from. You might give that a try. I also sometimes turn sideways with both legs over the same side to cast. That works, too.

I have learned to haul this spring, and I feel that is important when casting from the low position on the 'yak. I feel the additional line speed keeps my backcast from dropping too low, in addition to casting with a minimum of effort.

Regarding wind, it's a problem. I have a rudder, but mostly what I do is lay the paddle on my lap and make a few strokes to adjust position as necessary. For those days when the wind is a little too much for that strategy, I bought a drift sock. I have a pully system so that I can trail the sock behind the 'yak or off the left side of the kayak.

I really like this 'yak. And somewhat to the dismay of my trout fishing buddies, I really, really like fishing from it. The lakes I've been fishing are electric trolling motor only, but still sizeable -- 100 to 650 acres. Under those conditions, I think I'm pretty close to being the fastest boat on the water!

My wife thought it was real funny when I told her that! But that's what I think. Of course, electric trolling motors might have a gear I'm not aware of.

[This message has been edited by BigFlatBrook (edited 20 June 2006).]

I have a canoe which I don't use that much. It is light and short for a canoe but it's still bulkier than the kayak. I use that when the kids or wife want to go out. The kayak I have is a hertage featherweight 9'5" 36 lbs. I guess it would be cheaper to buy a good seat than sell it and get a float tube. I guess you don't sit much higher on the SOT type of kayak. My back dosen't always hurt only if I sit straight. If I sit at a slight angle it's a little better, not as much pain. I don't know that the float tube is the answer either. I like being dry. I'll have to work on the casting problems also.

Here's the thing about that Heritage kayak.

Last Saturday I got to the lake around 7:30 and started the ritual of taking may 'yak off the car top. I tie it down fore and aft, and flip it over so that it rides hull up. I won't describe the method I've devised to get it on and off the roof, but it takes a while.

I was about halfway through when another kayak fisher pulled up with his 9.5' 36 lb kayak tied down in the bed of his truck.

I've run into him a couple of times, and chatted with him for a few minutes. But, by the time I got my kayak down and the various paraphernalia put away, he was already paddling away from the launch. He just carries his down to the water. I have to drag mine.

I like my SOT, but I don't think I sit any higher than the SITs.

The one thing I really do like about it is that if I ever were to go over in deep water, I know it won't sink and that I'll be able to get back in it. I know that for sure because I've practiced!

I really do hope you can work out those back problems.

If your yak is not rigged with a seat with a good adjustable seat back,I think finding one at a price reasonable to your needs should not be all that difficult...I can't give any detailed advice on a float tube..I own two watercraft both came with great back supporting seating...One a Hobie Floatcat 75 and the Hobie Yak that you already mentioned Had it out tonight in fact..I am thrilled with the thing...But any good yak designed with fishing in mind and a good seat has got to be good..The Hobie cat sits you higher and gives you the options of oars and or fins..you'd still want an anchor.....all craft have their issues where wind is concerned...The float cats run just under $800.00, Come with rowing system,cargo rack...I do find one issue. With their relatively short pontoons, If trying to cover a good stretch of water with speed they can be difficult to keep tracking straight for longer distances...but for quick maneuvering and shorter ,slower paced distances they are very well suited...Stripping aprons can be ordered separately as well as a good many extras...Something to consider if inflatable's are not your thing...

I owned a canoe (Old Town Discovery 16 )and they are not all that different from a yak...all the same basic issues are still present..Mine was not a solo....I did equip it with oars for solo jaunts and that worked very well... I'm currently looking for a way to mount a stern anchor on my outback that will not interfere with my rudder steering system....I have no experience with inflatable's.......They all seem to low in the water for my comfort..

I do hope you look into seating systems for your current yak...and I hope you find something to suit your needs.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread