+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Bad Day"

Default "Bad Day"

Just read Rick's article. Not being an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but as he mentioned fishing in the Midwest with the wind howling is a normal occurance. When the wind is blowing, the 3wt stays in the tube and out comes the 6.

Over the years I have found that it is better to be using a rod that can properly deliver the fly, in the conditions I am fisning, as opposed to using a rod based on the size fish I expect to catch. That philosophy has saved me allot of agrevation.

Just my 2 cents.

------------------
    Every fly fisherman has an unreasonable view of fly rods, and I am no different. Thomas McGuane

Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anquish. Prov 31:6
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Blog Entries

I *really* appreciated Rick's article. I'm not much of a caster and I know it but I have fun and occasionally even catch a fish. I had one of "those" days just last week (maybe there's something going around ). I was fishing by myself and before it was over I was wishing I had someone there to remind me how much fun I was having.

Thanks Rick..g
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Sounds like a normal day casting for me.
    What is this 'practice' that people keep talking about?

Dido to anglerdave. It is fun to catch fish on a small rod but even more fun to be able to cast the bug I am throwing. Sure I feel foolish catching a bluegill on an eight weight while throwing a bass popper but at least I can throw that bug anywhere I want. Being on the coast there is always a sea breeze to contend with in fresh or salt wter.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

Over the years I have found that it is better to be using a rod that can properly deliver the fly, in the conditions I am fisning, as opposed to using a rod based on the size fish I expect to catch. That philosophy has saved me allot of agrevation.
    I love my little 4wt. but when the wind is blowing my line all over the place, causing knots, and I can't even get close to the spot I want to put the fly; it's time for my 7wt.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

My worst was having my spool fall out of the reel. Fellow next to me asked if that was the way we were supposed to fly fish. I hadn't even noticed it. Then when I tried pulling it in it just spun in the current. What a mess. That was about five years ago. I happened a second time about two years later. Same spool on the same reel on the same rod. Now I make certain before I start casting. What would probably save me the most agrivation, though, would be a stripping basket. In the canoe it isn't a big deal for I just put a towel over my lap and my legs are pretty much straight out. In a boat I find the most incredible things to tangle the line. Don't even get me near a trolling motor apparatus! JGW

+ Reply to Thread