Hey all,
Thought I would start a new topic to post creative ways that various members have overcome problems with rigging and improving thier boats. I thought I would start off with a decription of how I mounted a rod holder on my inflatable kayak. As we all know there are many after market rod holders availible, but all are designed for hardshell kayaks. They all require holes to be made for securing them to the boat. I can't make holes in my boat, so I came up with the solution here.

I know it seems simple but it works. I used a late model Scotty flyrod holder, and attached the base to the top right side of the milkcrate I use for storage with Zipties.

The great thing about Scotty rodholders is the versitlity of them. The base as mounted on the side kept having my rod rub against my boat and making the rod fall in the water and trail behind me when I paddled. But then on looking at the rodholder more closely I discovered It also had holes on the side of the base that could be used in the same way as the standard mount hole. All I had to do was take the holder apart from the base, line up the grooves and notches on the side hole and now my rod rides high and is fully adjustible. I also have the option of trading out the flyrod holder for a spinning or baitcasting rod holder(probley won't happen). I thought this might help others who want to possibly add another rod holder to their kayaks cheaply. This whole set up cost about $15 and that was for the rodholder, if you look around I know you have Zipties laying in a drawer somewhere.Many of you already have the Milkcrate in the back of your kayak, might as well put it to work.
Keep the post coming and we can learn from each other.
Sarge.

------------------
The enemy was many and they were but few,
But they stormed the gates of hell with glory in their eyes,
For tonight they sleep in Valhalla.

[This message has been edited by Southside Sarge (edited 08 June 2006).]