+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watercraft Riggings

If someone does not want to use the plastic wire ties,they could always use alum. pop rivets with the alum. pop rivet washers. These can be purchased in many diameters and lengths and will not be affected by UV. Just a suggestion.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Jim...that was exactly my intent...I believe less bandwidth used this way... ))

some pics of my area here... )
    [url=http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/mojoganjaman/:5e778]http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/mojoganjaman/[/url:5e778]

mojo no worries...

Hey all,
    Gemrod, I have to regularlly replace the the Zipties if they seem worn. I check them each time I get back to ensure they are not sun damaged or worn. I usually think that the use of a rod leash is the best way to combat the loss of a rod. Dave B, a lot of great ideas for pontoon boaters.Warren P. the idea of pop rivet and washers sounds like a viable idea. Have you mounted anything this way? If so show us. In fact I would love to see some cool explanations of anybody's problem that they overcame on their own. The sport of flyfishing requires constant inovation on the part of anyone who does it. If you have come up with something for your watercraft that can help all FF's let us know. Loved the post. Keep it coming.
    Sarge.

Sarge,

Yes, I have several items mounted using the pop rivets. I own a Hobie Cat 75 which I have modified to my kind of fishing. It comes with a shelf behind where you sit that is made of alum. tubing that you can store stuff on. I purchased what looks like pegboard only it is solid plastic/vinyl or something and I pop riveted it to the alum. tubes so that nothing could fall into the water between them. Then I made up an anchor system at the rear with alum. tubing fastened to the bottom of the "pegboard" stuff to run the anchor rope through. This puts the rope up beside me for ease of raising or lowering the anchor. I removed the soft padded vinyl seat and back and installed alum. square tubing and a swivel folding seat that is much more comfortable and lets me sit higher. All changes were done with alum. so I do not worry about rust plus all were fastened with pop rivets. I will have to take some pictures one day and maybe send them to you by e-mail so that you can see the results. So far everything is holding together very well.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren that's a good idea for the "pegboard stuff". I've got some pieces laying around...if it's white like mine I got it at Lowe's...only place I've seen it so far.

I've made a gear, anchor, and motor mount for my pontoon using various and sundry pieces of aluminum tubing found at the thrift stores as crutches, walkers, etc.

Warren,

I'd be Muchly interested in seeing those photo's of your seat system..As I am also a Float cat 75 owner.

And the bar beneath your knees can get rather annoying after extended periods on the water...Only .....complaint..... if I had any...would be that slight lack in padding at this area...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Sarge,

One thing you might consider using instead of the zipties is stainless steel wire. You can twist it up tight to the crate and then tuck the tips under so it won't stick you or the yak. Would last a lot longer, too.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

billknepp,

I purchased the padded vinyl swivel seat with folding back at Wal-Marts along with the swivel that screws on to the bottom of the seat. I removed the soft foam filled seat and back that comes with the Hobie 75 and fastened 2 square alum. tubes to the existing round alum. tubes that the original seat was fastened to with stainless steel bolts with locking nuts. To the square tubes I attached the swivel part and then the folding padded seat. It works great. I am able to fish from the sides as well as from the front. Just swivel around to the side and fish or reach the cooler in back. I really enjoy my Hobie 75. I will plan to take some pictures soon and send them to you.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren

Hey Warren,
    I meant to ask you about the anchor system you improvised. Is it permeantly attached or is it removable? I thought about making a removable double anchor system for my kayak and have been looking for ideas to make it work. The idea of a tube to keep the line from getting snagged sounds like a good way to go. Do you have any pics you could post?
    Sarge.

Southside Sarge,

No pictures yet, but, the present anchor is removeable. It is only a 3 pound anchor that the 4 "claws" open up and lock when in use and when removed the claws close. Overall it is only about 12" long and holds my Hobie 75 very well in the rivers. I purchased it from Cabela's. For your watercraft, I would look at what I use for my 12' Laudau flatbottom. I did not want to haul around a lot of weight with 2 anchors so I purchased, from a canoe accessories catalog, 2 vinyl bags that the open end was held closed with velcro and had a cord attached with a round ring attached to it that you attached your anchor rope to. The sides of the bags are perforated like an onion or potato bag. When you get to the river or lake, you fill the bags with rocks, close the velcro open end and attach your anchor rope to the ring. This works very well on my flatbottom. When I return from fishing, I just empty out the rocks, fold up the bags and put in the boat storage area for the next trip. Now the wife has me haul the rocks home to put in her flower beds! If this sounds like something you might be interested in, I will look for the name of the company where I got mine. The anchor can be purchased/viewed at: Cabela's Item # IG 313434 -- Bass Pro Item # 38-590-338-00 (they have 3lb, 5lb & 7lb) You might want to look at Bass Pro Item # 38-610-019-49 which is a kit with anchor, clam cleat & rope. I do not work for any of the above, I just like to be helpful. I am still looking for the "bag" type anchors. Found some here: [url=http://www.creekcompany.com:f60b5]www.creekcompany.com[/url:f60b5] --click on boat/tube accessories -- scan down page to Float Tube Anchor and that is what you are looking for.

------------------
    Warren

[This message has been edited by WarrenP (edited 13 June 2006).]

Warren

+ Reply to Thread