Hey All,
Just wanted to tell about my fishing yesterday. I started early to make it to the river by six (Town Lake here in Austin is part of the Colorado River). I had packed up my gear the night before so it was ready to roll. I had tried something that I saw on the history channel to transport my inflatable kayak(the Alpha Lone Star). I put it on my bicycle, something that the VC's did in Vietamn.One thing I learned in Iraq is that the enemy, no matter how much you try to stop them, can surprise you with their inovativeness. I was able to put the kayak in between the handle bars and the seat lashed down with bungie cords, and then put all my gear in the milk crate I use for storage on the rack on the back. Of course I can't ride it but I can take it to the bus stop easier. My wife and I share a car so usually I take the bus. Thats okay, saves on gas. Anyway the bus has a bike rack on the front here in Austin so I put it on there and rode to the river. After I got there locked up my bike and set up my kayak, I was on the water by six.
The wind was kind of blowing(5 knots) so I headed for a small creek that I know called Shoal Creek(anyone who knows Austin is laughing because Shoal is not considered the most pristine). I knew that the Bluegills spawn back there something fierce. When I got there a lot of people had the same idea and were fishing from shore with bait. I then had a breakthrough and decided to head farther upstream. Shoal is a very shallow creek so I had to proceed with caution since most creeks dry up later in the spring. I even had to get out and pull the boat through an area. Finally I came to a hidden cove that was just gorgious. It was near the powerplant but away from the trail that joggers use by the creek. It was completely secluded. I beached first and got out and fished from shore but was having a hard time reaching the far shore, so I paddled out and anchored. From there I was able to cast to an area that ran right along the far bank. I caught so many BG's that I can't remember the number, a lot as big as my hand spread open. They were taking a dry fly that was called a Double Hackle (#12). I think I picked this fly up on FAOL, and it is real easy to tie.The Double Hackle is like a Renegade only the body is made with chenile. This version was all gray with two grizzly hackle, one at each end so it looked like a mosquito. I was throwing it to the far shore and the BG's were killing it. On one cast I caught a nice little one and a half pound (estimate) bass that slammed the fly just as ferousiosly as the gills. All told I caught some super fish. At about ten o clock the sun picked up and the fishing let off so I decided to head home. I also had a lot of things to do around the house so grudgingly I left. After beaching and packing up I went to the bus stop and waited to go home. The fishing was great and I now do not have to wait to have the car to take out the Alpha Lone Star. Pretty great day.
Sarge

[This message has been edited by Southside Sarge (edited 27 May 2006).]