The mountain "brim" were really tearing it up yesterday and today. My Welsh terrier, who usually finds more pleasure in dragging limbs and such trash out of the water, was getting into the action big time, "cheering" me on--I'd imagine the people with houses surrounding this residential lake in Asheville (hint, hint to those of you in the area) were pretty annoyed at his noisy antics. The action was so hot, I looked at my rod hand once and realized I was casting away with my thumb and index finger still in the loops of my hemo's--holdover habit from fly tying, I guess. I caught over 200 fish on one fly, a chartreuse chenille soft hackle with crystal flash tail and built up, black head, coated in Knot Sense. I attribute the fly's longevity to the head, which covers the base of the hackle, keeping it from unravelling or tearing out. A couple of bait dunkers set up right next to me yesterday and caught nothing during an hour-long stretch where I had a fish on every cast--lol. Nothing against bait, skillfully employed, but this is definitely fly season, and when it's over, I'll head to the trout streams. Cheers.
-CC