I think this is really strange. I've witnessed the phenomenon of gators becoming unafraid of humans first hand. But this rash of attacks still seems very unusual to me. I wouldn't be a bit suprized if we find out later on that some of these 3 victims were dead or dying when they hit the water. I don't want to be morbid or sound uncaring, but the fact is that young women tend to be more likley victims of HUMAN attack, and I can see how some sick so-and -so might attack , and then dump the body into a canal that he knows has gators, in an attempt to cover up his crime. I think this possibility is especially true of the young lady killed "while jogging". Folks, I really have a hard time imagining a gator attacking someone on land moving that fast. They just don't hunt on land. I suppose its possible she stepped on it, but I don't see how you can miss a 9 footer sitting on the land. In Florida, South Carolina, and south Georgia,you don't assume it's a log next to the water.
All that being said, y'all fish carefully, and mind your surroundings if you live in gator habitats. Awareness and avoidance are your best bet for staying safe.
Swamp

[This message has been edited by swamp rat (edited 15 May 2006).]