+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radisson/SportsPal?

Default Radisson/SportsPal?

In talk of boats for small waters I've not seen any comments here about the SportsPal/Raddison canoes or boats. Why? For small inland lakes and the pursuit of panfish and bass they seem to me prety nice. Besides the small brook trout streams, my wife and I enjoy panfishing the small lakes. Since we're both over 70 the 34 pounds of the 12 foot canoe are attractive. My back and lungs are in poor shape and that makes the light weight even more attractive.
    What do you know about this line of watercraft? What are the negatives, if any?
    Thanks much.

Bill

------------------
    Name indicates where I fish and for what I fish.
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

Littlebrook,

The SportsPal does look intriguing. I'm finding all sorts of new manufacturers and canoe designs that I haven't seen before. From my perspective it appears that a lot of canoe design is regionally inspired. I know my first canoe was made within 200 miles of here and it was a really tough canoe that could handle running into the rocks of Ozark streams. The canoe concessions on the float streams help to determine the local market.

The SportsPal certainly seems like a promising canoe. I have been moving away from 12 footers because most of the twelve footers I've tried are like the small kayaks--fun for a small cove or bay but inefficient for paddling longer distances--even when just going across a small lake or pond. Not all of the canoe vendors let you "test drive" their vehicles. I've not seen a SportsPal in our area but if a local vendor would let me try it out, I certainly would based on the stats that I've looked up on it.....

Of course, the bottom line is if you think the SportsPal works for you then that is the canoe for you. I'm 100% behind you on the weight issue. You know if anyone had ever designed the perfect canoe or kayak that would meet everyone's needs there would only be one canoe on the market and yours and my choice would be easy.

BW

I have a pal that fishes a Raddison and it is indeed a fine craft. My only improvment would be to add a yoke thwart to make portaging easier. They are nice otherwise though. Cheers, Alec

This does not answer your question, but, you might want to look at: [url=http://www.castlecraft.com:b0af1]www.castlecraft.com[/url:b0af1]

They sell the Sportspal and I have dealt with them in the past and was pleased with the transaction. They ship direct to you.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thanks very much for the replies guys. They are available locally so my wife and I stopped in to the shop this afternoon with some questions. Before we left I'd purchased the 14 ft. canoe (41 lbs.)and a small electric motor. We pick it up in the morning. Parrot's Outpost in Onaway, MI had a far better price than any I'd seen on the Web. Great people there.
    Bluegills beware!. There will be times when the brook trout get a break. They won't be asked to dance briefly with my wife and I. Might even get a few meals from the panfish - another bonus.
    Thanks again.

Bill

------------------

Bill,

Good for you! How about posting how the Sportspal worked out you in case someone else is considering one.

Enjoy and be careful.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Bill,
    Your post brings back memories of 1973 when I just got out of the Army and bought myself a Sportspal canoe.

It was great fun. Fairly stable and VERY light for me to put on top of my car. And I'm on the thin side of skinny! Well, I "used" to be.....

It's a well made canoe. I enjoyed it and did a lot of spin fishing out of her in '73-75.

I don't think you can go too far wrong here. It IS a canoe so just be sure to wear that life jacket though!!

Jeremy.

Thanks again,

A big YES on the life jackets. When our kids were just little shavers they'd go fishing with me in our old 18 ft. Grumman that weighed very close to 100 pounds. That's when I developed the habit of NEVER getting into a canoe without a life jacket. "And you two kids are gonna dress just like Dad - with a life-jacket" And they pretty much still do, even with their own kids.
    Wife and I definitely will wear 'em.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Still haven't had the canoe in the water. Picked it up and got it registered and licensed but still need the proper letter and number decals on it's bow. That'll be tomorrow. Then we go for a ride. Yes!

Bill

Good Time!
    We put it in the water today. Couldn't figure out how to mount the motor mount so we just went for a ride under paddle power. It paddled very well. I then moved closer to the center, sat on the hard ethafoam seat, lower in the canoe, and rowed the "vessel" My very (un)healthy stomach got in the way of operating the oar-locked paddles, but the seat back felt wonderful on my lumbar regions. For a slimmer boater it would probably be fine. Very pleased with the whole business. Went back to Parrot's Outpost in Onaway and asked for the simple solution to the motor mount problem. Yup. It was a simple process. Maybe tomorrow we'll go for a ride with the Minn-Kota instead of with People Power.
    Wife and I are both glad we got it. BLuegills may be in trouble.
    Again, thanks much for your responses.

Bill

------------------

Today we MOTORED around the lake. Wonderful. My back protested after awhile on the laced seat so I tried sitting on the ethafoam seat which put me about six inches lower. Didn't feel right. Therefore I still need to figure out a stiff back for the laced seat but all in all it was a great ride. And the little 30# thrust MinnKota was even more than we needed to push us around the lake fairly expeditiously.
    Late rain and a return to lower temperature are supposed to prevail tomorrow but we plan on going out again, exploring more and probably trolling while we do it. Yeah, I know, this is Michigan not Maine, but trolling could work here too.
    Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions.

Bill

------------------

+ Reply to Thread