Rich Ward

I'm new here but I think that you may have some priorties mixedup. I have only been flyfishing for 4 or 5 years and tying flies for the last couple years, but I don't think that the latest greatest techno stuff makes you any more skilled or dedicated or acomplished than those without. I can relate this beter to bow hunting. I build my own wooden long bows and cedar arrows with my own turkey feather fletching and use them to hunt deer and turkeys with. Are the guys with the latest compounds that shoot arrows up to 350 fps and can hit deer size targets at 70 or 90 yards better hunters than me? No because for me to be effective I need to be inside 20 yards, and to do this I have to know and understand the quarry much beter and it becomes much more personal and satisfying when I'm sucessful because of this. The main thing high tech rods gain is casting speed and distance and you can be very good and dedicated fly fisherman with out that, and gain more personal satifaction with out all the hype if that is what is important to you. You are right about one thing though, Chump might have been a little harsh. Enjoy what floats your boat and allow others to do the same.