Last night a friend took me fishing on a private pond stocked with hybrid bluegill and bass. WOW! I lost track of the number of bg's we caught but they were huge. I have a large hand and it was all I could do to hold the top fin and bottom at the same time. At one time I had 8 casts where I caught a bg on one cast. They fought just like the little ones but with a lot more weight. It was like the difference between a coffee saucer and a dinner plate. I used a yellow foam spider with purple legs until on the the bg's swallowed it. I then went with a black foam spider with a white poly indicator on top until it too was swallowed. There was a lot of algae on the pond so floating flies was the only way to keep from fouling with algae. I then tied on a larger ( size 8 ) white foam spider and the bg's went wild. I would cast it out and as soon as it hit the water would be grabbed. Normally for me the bg's kind of kiss the fly. ( Kissing noise ) but last night they were grabbing with a big splash. I've never seen bg's so aggressive. My friend wanted to learn to fly fish. He had a sweet casting rod. I cast it out for him to show him how to do it and immediately he had a bg on. I left him to his own devices and was catching as fast as I could release them. My friend was using a vertical weed whacker on the weeds behind him. He got better over the 1 1/2 hour we fished, but finally went back to a rattling, swishing pig boat with a spinner when the bass moved in. I must admit he caught 4-5 bass on that rig. I changed to a dahlberg diver tied with pink flash and red feather tails ( it looked like a fish trailing entrails ) and caught one ten inch bass with that before it got waterlogged. The algae was 10-15 out from shore so we had to cast at least 20 feet to get beyond it. I then tied on one of the first deer hair sliders in yellow and black I had tied ( last year ) that was pretty loose on the hair. Even so I caught a 14 inch bass on it. It then got so soggy that when I cast it, it sounded like a wet rag when it hit the water. My only regret of the whole evening was that my friend had better luck with that spinning rig. Not that it bothers me that he caught more but I was hoping that in such an environment the deer hair poppers would do as well as a spinning rod. I may have just been too hyped up to let it sit as long as it needed before twitching it. I will admit, that is a problem I have with fly fishing in general, it is so fun to do, it is hard for me just to sit like a bobber-bopper. Pardon the length and this is not really a boast ( I'm sure good fishermen would have done better ) but I have never had such big fish hit so often on such a simple fly and then the bass on those deer hair diver and slider. Every now and then it is great fun to go catching instead of fishing.