+ Reply to Thread

Thread: duck river, tennessee

Default duck river, tennessee

I'm traveling up to the Duck River in Shelbyville, Tn. at the end of this week to attend a rod builder's guild event. Does anyone know what kind of fish I should expect? What about access and wading conditions?
    Thanks in advance for your help!
    Swamp

swamp rat,

The Duck is fishing pretty good right now for trout. Really no great size. They are running from 9" to 13". Lots of fun. There are several access points. One below the Normandy Lake Dam, next one being Cortner's Mill access and then Dement Bridge access. I fished it last Thursday evening and last Saturday afternoon and caught a dozen each trip. I will probably hit it again tonight after work. There is a great mayfly hatch going on right now. I do best on olive flymphs and wet flies. As long as they are not releasing more than 200cfs from the dam, you will be able to wade with no problems. Anything over 200cfs is not really safe wading. You need to call: 1-800-238-2264...after the computer answers hit 4...after computer responds...hit 56 # Doing it this way eliminates a lot of info you will not need. After you dial in 56 # you will be told how much water is being released. Where is the rod builder's guild event going to be held? Let me know when you plan to fish and, if I can join you, I will gladly show you the Duck River. I work at the local college and this Saturday is graduation and I will be tied up til around 3pm on Saturday. We also have the Elk River which is below Tim's Ford Lake dam and it is a generating dam. It is fishing pretty good right now with midges being the go to fly. If you need more info, let me know.

------------------
    Warren

PS - just noticed you posted on the warm water board and the Duck River does have good bluegill and crappie fishing to go along with the trout.

[This message has been edited by WarrenP (edited 01 May 2006).]
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Salmonoids!!!!! ICK!!!
    Just kiddin'. I just didn't know it was a trout stream.
    I'm not sure exactly were the event is. I assume it's at Custom Tackle in Shelbyville. I think it is called the Midsouth Regional Conclave. If you want more info, drop me an e-mail and I'll fill you in. This is my first such event, so I am not real sure what all is going on.
    Do you know if there are any smallmouth or yellow perch or othe strange fish that I don't know anything about?
    I'll be there Thursday through Saturday, and I've never met an FAOL'er I didn't like, so if you want, fill me in on your schedule and we'll see what we can work out.
    Thanks,
    Swamp

swamp rat

Since I only live about 10 miles from Custom Tackle, I will call Bob, the owner, tomorrow from work and get the details. If this is going on into the evening, I will come over there and look you up. I fished the Duck tonight after work and had 4 bluegill and 16 rainbows. The Duck will start warming up and the bass and other warm water fish will get more active. I know of a spot on the Duck where we may get into some larger bluegill, black perch and crappie. The weather is not going to cooperate real well for us. they are predicting thunder storms Tuesday and Thursday. If we get a bunch of rain, they will open up the dam at Normandy and put the river out of it's banks! I will plan to look you up on Thursday at Bill's Custom Tackle and we will make plans from there.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

swamp rat,

I sent you an e-mail, but, have not heard from you. I talked to Bob, who owns Custom Tackle, and he said there will be people there with boats and everyone will be fishing all day on Thursday, Friday morning and classes on Friday afternoon. It sounds like you will be taken good care of for fishing. If they fish the Duck River where Custom Tackle is, it will be all warm water fishing and no trout. So, you may get into your bass and other warm water fish. Let me know how it went.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren

Warren,
    Thanks for all the help. I e-mailed you just a few minutes ago. We;ll have to hook up and fish another time.
    Swamp

+ Reply to Thread