+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mod. to slow moving current...

Default mod. to slow moving current...

how do you get a wet down deep enough without splitshot,( I don't like split shot, not fly fishing to me, just my pref.) I'v hered others talking about working a wet or nympp down, how can that be done in moving current, or can it?

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

a very big upstream mend or two helps sink the nymph more quickly.

A high forward cast that allows the leader to puddle will help to get the nymph down a bit quicker. Add a good upstream mend or two and that should be it. Have Fun. Jax

------------------
    I'm a much better Fly fisher when talking fishing, than when I'm Actually Fly fishing!
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

I do that, but, as soon as the current catches up to the wet, it gets pulled to the top, it does'nt stay down. Even in slow pools my nymphs will only go down, about 2-3' then suspend there. You know, hang out near the top... JC said one time he would work his nymph's (if fished) down...
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by Grubb (edited 20 April 2005).]
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Ya gotta keep mending. Also try (if you don't already) flourocarbon tippet-it is a little more dense (specific gravity is a little higher) than mono.
    Beadhead also add weight to the fly.
    xfc

Heavier fly. Try using a bead-head nymph.

Grubb,

I do that, but, as soon as the current catches up to the wet, it gets pulled to the top, it does'nt stay down. Even in slow pools my nymphs will only go down, about 2-3' then suspend there. You know, hang out near the top...
    Just imagine you had just that fly, with a piece of tippet attached to it, and you tossed it into the pool. What do you think... would it sink down, or remain suspended 2-3'?

If the answer is yes, it would continue to sink, then read on...

What stops the fly from sinking further is the fact that it is tethered, it is connected to the rest of the leader and the flyline. Given sufficient slack, no restriction, it would continue to sink, remember.

You may look closely whether the line/leader are actively tugging at the fly as the combination drifts down with the current or on the wind. Modify your cast or your position to eliminate the drag.

If there is no drag involvement, then moving to a longer (thin) tippet, or indeed a level (thin) leader will also assist in allowing the fly to sink down beyond the 2-3' you mention. Remember that you are not interested in leader turnover for deep fished flies, quite the opposite. Tapered leaders hinder, not help, with this kind of fishing.

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

By golly Hans, thank you sir!!! That's it, tension, no matter how slite, I get it, the line floating can do that evenin if it's not moving, thank you... and Mickey, Jax, exfishcop,and taoski, forgive me for being slow minded...lol 'S" one more thing under the bridge... not dry (the leader thing that is), I never would have thought of that...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Grubb (edited 20 April 2005).]

Use a longer tippet and stack mend.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Thank you Sir Ray, soon to have your own Bill T's...

------------------

+ Reply to Thread