+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any Sage 0-wt and 00-wt owners out there?

My wife would kow that if either of your, or both or any other person on this list shows up that it ain't going to be any eye exam.

She doesn't even believe me when I say I will be home before dark.

Rick

JEREMY:

Yeah man, ultralight fly rods are a gas! I've used this 00-wt. on three trips now, and it does pretty good.

I really connected with Jeremy Aldridge's "Reader's Cast" story in FAOL this week, especially the part where he switched to a much smaller fly (a tiny nymph). By coincidence, I did that exact same thing last Saturday and had good results. In fact, I'm now thinking about making a #12 or #14 nymph my standard go-to fly for 'gills, instead of the #10 that I've relied on for so long. Time will tell, but I might go smaller than #14 if future experience suggests doing so. For one thing, the smaller flies cast more naturally on ultralight rods. Well, for me they do.

It's just plain crazy how bigger pannies and decent-size LMB will grab the teeniest tiniest flies. But they do.

If you haven't opened the link that deathB4disco attached (see above) be sure you do. There's information in Bill Byrd's stories that you can put to good use when fishing with your 1-wt. Actually, it's just good information for everybody regardless of their rod weight.

RICK: It's my eyesight, Doc. I can feel it fading, I...I need a vision exam, and soon. Let's book me for one just as soon as the weather -- er, I mean your office schedule -- permits.

If I can be properly corrected, would I then see anglerdave?

Joe

Joe,
    Thank you, I did bookmark that site although I've been there before. Still, it's good to re-read.

And on those gill flies...I've had very good luck getting a fly past the smaller gills and down to the bigger boys using something like a (trying to recall the name now...) Beaded Whitlocks Squirrel Tail (??)

A gold bead head, a "hairy" dubbed body with 4 rubber legs tied in an "X" cross pattern and a squirrel tail. I used a #12.

I think it's those legs that get 'em.

Jeremy.

[This message has been edited by Jeremy (edited 05 April 2006).]

One of my "resolutions" for this season is to fish smaller flys when chasing gills. I have put together a small box of assorted patterns tied on #12 - #18 hooks. I even have a few in there that I can hardly see. *G*

------------------
    Every fly fisherman has an unreasonable view of fly rods, and I am no different. Thomas McGuane from The Longest Silence.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Seeing anglerdave is not the problem.
    It is his habit of long line releases that gets to you.

Just think of how frightening it could be to have the three of us together...

Rick

When I started using a 3 wt rod several years ago I replaced most of my size 10 & 8 patterns with size 12 flies [tied on a 3XL hook]. Just made it easier to cast. Since I went to a 2 wt rod last summer for most of my BG fishing I've replaced the size 12 patterns with size 14 - mostly, anyway. [I do fish down to about a #16 - can't tie them any smaller any more.] Again, easier casting without bouncing a weighted fly ofen' the back of my haid!! Especially then there is a bit of wind.

I've not noticed any drop in size of the fish I catch. So there seems to be no negative side to the size reduction beyond the need to tie more flies.

I've also gone from lead wire to beadheads on most of them. I thing they're lighter [the beadheads] but they still get down to the 10' level** which is about as deep as I need to fish around here. Makes it easier to ID weighted [beadhead] from unweighted [no beadhead]. Now I no longer have to remember the thread colour coding for the different weights - which is often no small task for us old farts!

Donald
    **We generally get a thermocline about 12-15' in the summer. The BG's will "feed up" so 10' seems to do it.

Until I started fishing with Rick, I didn't even know there was such a thing as long line release. After watching him release several fish that way, I thought that is what you were suppose to do. *G*

------------------
    Every fly fisherman has an unreasonable view of fly rods, and I am no different. Thomas McGuane from The Longest Silence.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Which reel goes best with the 00 weight?

+ Reply to Thread