Well the short answer to your question about deer hair is YES. Deer Hair can be made inot many type and styles of flies that will work very well for the warm water fisherman.

As has been said before, tying with deer hair can be a little ... different. You can use deer hair for MANY things in tying.

I frequently use deer hair tips for tail material on my dry flies made for bluegill and crappie. I find that the extra strength of the tips compared to feather barbs is of great benifit for these little fish.

Spinning and packing of deer hair can almost be described as 1/2 art form and 1/2 voodoo!!! I have packed and spun deer hair bugs for more of my life than I care to admit to. But, I have switched to more durable materials for my popper style of flies. I use foam for my poppers that I want to float high and last a long time!

Hopper imitations just wouldn't be the same without the use of deer hair! I have tied and used a lot of different types of hopper imitations, and it seem that all of the use deer hair.

Deer Hair can be one person's best friend OR worst enemy when it comes to making warm water flies. Probably the best thing you can do is to order some videos to help you first! Chris Helm makes some EXCELLENT videos on how to select and use deer hair! Bass Pro also has a video from Whitlock on how to tie and use deer hair flies. If I were to just start out making Deer Hair bugs for the first time, I would get these videos FIRST!!!!

And by the way, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get what you need to make Deer Hair Bugs. You just need to know what to look for, both in hair quality AND in the insect in your area! I mostly have olive hoppers on the waters near me, so natural and olive hair is what I use most. No point in buying pink hair if I am not going to be needing it.

Just my thoughts,
Reggie