Any suggestions for fishing Smallmouth Bass in a fairly large lake(12 miles long and a mile or two long) early in the season?

The lake is free-mixed up until late spring until it stratifies with a thermalcline at about 20-25'. It has good rocky drop-offs along with some big shoals. Primary weeds are milfoil and some hydrella but there isn't much of that around in May. Max depth is around 150'. There are several areas of shear rock cliffs dropping to 40' or so, both with and without rocky debris. there are two rocky submerged islands on the edge of shoals dropping off on the deep side to 20-30' quite quickly. Forage foods include Sculpin, Squawfish, Carp, Pumpkinseed, Trout, Kokanee and a few crayfish.

I have no problem finding consistant action from late spring until the middle of the fall on the fly, with 40+ fish days not uncommon. Average size is probably a little on the small size, and the fish seem to school up until they reach 1.5 - 2 lbs. After that they seem to be more solitary, staking out prime ambush territory. The biggest I've personally seen is pushing 6lbs. but that would be the exception, not the rule.

The lake has been ice-free this winter, but it does freeze over some years. Location is in the South Okanagan of B.C.

I'd like some ideas to tempt the fish so I can get a jump on the season. Last year I was not able to figure them out until the water warmed up and the started responding to the usual offerings. Their usual haunts seemed to be devoid of fish until then.

All input appreciated, let me know if you need more info or particulars.

Jon