Jack Hise re filamentous algae or pond scum
The barley defiantly works, 2 bales per acre is the formula. We take a bale and break it in half, then we stuff the barley into a netting of plastic with 2 liter pop bottles (2 per pouch) and then add more of the barley to sandwich in the bottles. Stitch or tie the bag up. I then attach a string and rock so they stay in a designated area.

The barley will break down in about 6 weeks. When the sunlight shines onto the water, which contains dissolved oxygen, in the presence humic substances, hydrogen peroxide is formed.

The low levels of Hydrogen peroxide curtail the spread of the algae and sterilize the single cell that remains. The slow decomposition of the straw ensures that humic substances are always present to catalyze this reaction.

It is also very good for crustations or invertebrate animals and no harm to the fish. It is really very amazing how it works. You will also know how many turtles are on the pond; they love to sun themselves on the bales.

I did a three-year study with Cornell using my pond (4 acre) its fed by drain tiles from a farm field on my south side. From time to time I get a charge of run off with lime, manure, or whatever drains thru the system and Nitrogen charges the algae growth. The barley has done the job and lasts for about 4-6 mos depending on water temp.

Pack the straw loose so you get good circulation of water thru it. I?ll take a pick when the barley is out on the pond later for you.

My current cost is $5 per bale and get 12 bales for my ponds, 4acre and 1/3 acre. Prices vary around the states.

Hope the info helps

The Geezer

------------------
Fly fishing A jerk on one end waitng for a jerk on the other end.

AAGGGHHHHH