+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spinner flies

Default spinner flies

I know there have been FAOL articles about adding a propeller type spinner to your fly, and I've read them. Thanks!

But, in the recent Fly Fisherman, Dave Whitlock says that adding a spinner to a woolly bugger or other streamer increases the effectiveness by several times. Smallmouth fishing, of course, but I would fish for trout doing the same thing if it worked.

I'm far from a purist, but I am a dedicated fly fisherman at this point, and I'm probably not gonna spinfish any more, although I have nothing against using a "Devil Stick" per ce.

Does anyone out there have any experience with this -- specifically regarding smallmouth?

i don't have any smallmouth experience but i have tyed and tried several variations, mainly clouser types with both propellor and in line spinner attachments and had no success with (or without) them on large jaw bass. i have some ice chenille/maribou crappie creations with small prop spinner that i plan to try this week-end. it always looks good on this site and on the bench but no success 4 me yet - probably not the spinners though. i had good luck with pig boat this past week-end and had one tied with a spinner attached but could not bring myself to try it with the other working so well???

I have added a 3 blade propeller to 2 streamers we use here in Ok for LM bass.
    Our waters here are stained or muddy most of the time(Acme Brick has a plant here if you know what I mean) and we are always looking for an advantage. I think the jury is still out but my buddy who fishes more than me is convinced the propellers make a difference. Pistol Pete flies( which have spinners) were originally made for trout in reservoirs

Many years ago I used a Pflueger Pilot spinner
    which had a fly tied on a single hook(size with a shaft having a propeller type spinner.It was a smallmouth killer in streams around southeastern Indiana

That was interesting! I bookmarked those websites. Thanks!

6. Default

No experience with smallmouth....but lots of experience with spinner additions to flies for catching LMB, HSB, and BG in ponds. The spinner addition, either as a propeller on a bugger type fly or a blade spinner on a minnow imitation fly adds tremendously to the fish catching.

Anyone have a picture or link to a recipie for such a fly? tied with a blade/prop?

------------------
    Colt45
    Tomball, TX

Check out the 2005 archives, 2nd quarter, and look for spinner'd minner. I've tied some of these and they work just fine.

I tie alot of flies with in-line spinners. Bass of all varities love them and will push each other out of the way to get at them. I make my own in-line spinners with a Hagens wire former and components from Janns NetCraft and hobby store beads. Here are a few that have been known to make smallmouth abandon all hope:

Professor
    Red Hackle
    Monster Coachman

As the kids say, these are "the bomb". Cheers, Alec

Like Tom Nixon's spinner, perhaps?

See the recipe here: [url=http://laflyfish.com/flies/tom-nixon-spinner.php:4a810]http://laflyfish.com/flies/tom-nixon-spinner.php[/url:4a810]

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:4a810]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:4a810]

+ Reply to Thread