+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaders for Pike and Musky

Default Leaders for Pike and Musky

I have been fly fishing for pike and musky for 30 years and have always used Mason Hard Mono for leaders. Just curious as to what others use for leaders for toothy critters.

Cortland Toothy Critter knottable steel

Berkley Fireline 10 Lb Test Knots are no prob I like the Uni-Knot...Has no memory and as limp as a furled leader.Won't Kink or coil as wire does..and bite-offs are very rare...All I use for the toothy critters.. I use a 2 foot section on the end a 4-8 foot leader of 12 Lb test mono....It's a gel spun line in the spinning gear section of Wally world..If you had not known of it before...Just some thoughts...

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 17 February 2006).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I will admit that tying knots in heavy Mason Hard Mono is a challenge. I usually use 30lb or 40lb test and a Uni Knot or Clinch Knot.

I might have to try both the Cortland steel and Fireline this year just to experiment a bit.

I also have been using the Mason line for many years. I am going to try the Fireline this year. It was suggested to me by several guide friends. I do use Tyger Wire as a bite guard for the toothy critters.

I've been using 20 lb fluorocarbon. If I start getting bite offs, I'll add a piece of 30-50 lb fluorocarbon. I've got some Tyger Wire that I might give a try and I've got some Fireline in my drawer, I'll have to give the short piece of that a try.

We use the coated wire stuff made by American Fishing Wire, 20#. We have used Tyger wire and do NOT think it at all worth the added expense..... ALL wire kinked for us sooner or later!
    We have had 60# Mason bit off. We have also landed 36"+ fish with the camp manager's 8# tippet and a bunny bug. Go figure....
    We only get about 1 week a year to pester them. Maybe that makes a difference?
    ....lee s.

I use Mason and/or Rio IGFA Hard Mono and Tyger Wire as the bite tippet. If you're going on a reasonably expensive trip (northern Canada or Alaska) the extra cost of Tyger Wire is totally insignificant. It's the best stuff I've used so far.

+ Reply to Thread