Friends:

I wrote a database that's very simple. It has three tables: Rods, Lines & Reels, and Experiences. In the Experiences table it has date, title, and a text field for the experience. Whenever I make some discovery, read an interesting article, find a great comment., discover something in the stream etc., regarding fly fishing, I log it here for future reference. Similarly in the other tables I have a field in which to post a comment. Thus for example if one line casts very well on a given rod, I go to the rod entry and make a note of this. What I've ended up with is a great reference for my experiences. Some time I'll be wondering which line to buy next, and darn if I don't have all your comments (that at the time seemed interesting) ... to go back and review. The Experiences table also has a field for a digital photo, so I can log my lake prowess too.

This may be an idea to emulate for some of the computer inclined among us. I have it written in 4th Dimension for Mac OS X, if anyone wants it, but writing it one's self is very easy. E-mail me if you want it or want to know the descriptions of my fields to make it yourself.

Your friend,

Migs