+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass Rods

Default Fiberglass Rods

Hi Folks,

Could I get some inside info into some reputable places that may carry a 9 foot 2-piece fiberglass 4-weight rod? I do not care what brand. Thanks for any info you might have.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Take a look at the Diamondback glass rods.
    They really are very nice. Their website seems to be down at the moment, but you can try it later, they had a list of dealers. [url=http://www.diamondbackflyrods.com:d28bc]http://www.diamondbackflyrods.com[/url:d28bc]

If you want a really, really nice one, the Hardy Perfection is incredibly smooth.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Thanks, Deanna. I'll take a look.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

dixie

I think you may be hard pressed to find a 9' 4wt glass rod. Last time I looked Diamondback's longest rod was an 8'. Even some of the older glass rod makers did not make a 9' rod in a 4wt. Very few made a 4wt. Phillipson comes to mind but I think even his shorter Swamp Fox series were 5 & 6wt.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a 9' glass rod would be pretty heavy.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I'd have to agree with Dave.
    I don't think you will be able to find a modern glass rod of any line weight longer than 8'.

Steffen Bros. makes an 8' 4wt
    Lamiglas has a 7 1/2' 4 wt.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Thanks, Guys. I may just go with an 8 foot if need be. My 7 weight is an 8 foot but its a Featherlight so I might just have to go with the same rod or something similar in a 4 weight.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Robert,

If a used rod is OK, you might want to take a trip to Lake Alfred and check out Ron's Bait and Tackle and ANTIQUES. I got an old 8wt Fiberglass Wonderod there. The shop is right off 17 in "downtown" Lake Alfred. He had a number of fiberglass fly rods...not to mention other really cool stuff.

Good Luck my friend!

-Phil

Robert,

I have a custom built Lamiglass FL865 which is an 8ft 3 piece 5 wt rod that I would be willing to part with. It has been cast one time by me and I found fiberglass to be just too slow for my style of casting. The blank is honey gold colored with single foot guides and garnet wraps with metalic gold trim. I have $150 invested in the components of this rod and would accept $175 and I pay shipping. Let me know if you'd like some photos.

Jim Smith

Thanks for the offer, Jim, and the added help, Phil. I am first going to wait and see if my local connection pans out as I feel like I should try to do business with him first (support locals first). No, its not Red. I'm not sure if Red even builds fiberglass rods (I've only seen graphites). I have done business with this local connection in the past (even before Red had his tackle shop) and I am in no big hurry but I do like to know what other options I may have. If not, I will pursue some of these other new options you good folks have given.

Hey Phil, how are the Specks treating you in Orlando?

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 18 January 2006).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Specs are still good, especially after a cold snap (like last night). During the day, I just follow the feeding sea gulls with a full sink line. It is bump and run fishing and not easily done in a kayak, but fun none the less.

On one of your trips north, make some time to visit the shop I mentioned, you will love it, not your typical "bait and tackle".

-Phil

+ Reply to Thread