+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: River Rats

Hmmm. How 'bout PM'ing around the goods instead of SHOUTING!!!

Diddy - ????????????

Donald

I prefer rivers. They somehow just seem more natural. I can't wait til it warms up a bit so I can start hitting them!

Blog Entries

I am a creek rat first and foremost. It is my first love in fishing. I like creeks and small rivers that I can wade. My main problem is that I am afraid that my luck with copperheads and water moccasins is stretching a little thin. I haven't been bitten, but I have come fairly close a time or two. But for all that, I expect that I'll be wading wet again in 2 or 3 months and in the same streams. I love the bream and the bass. Some days I get to share the love with trout. On a slow day, I love the creek chubs...
    Ed

Very interesting comments about the reptiles reffered to above I am new to the country and have not experienced these critters yet, are they really a problem?
    I also love fishing small creeks and am now located in Texas, any comments would be appreciated!

EdD - I like your line "On a slow day I enjoy the creek chubs..." I have a coupla really small warmwater creeks I fished last summer with a 2 wt I picked up the winter before. Ten to twelve inch smallies and largemouth both, long ear sunnies, creek chubs [some up to 12-13"!], white suckers - they're all fair game on that little rod. If it'll hit a fly I'll fish for it if the smallies are not being nice.

I spent a loooooooooong afternoon working on a school of the suckers last May. Took me close to an hour to finally find a fly they'd hit after finding them rolling and feeding on the bottom is a shallow run. A light hair's ear finally did them in! A 1 1/2 to 2# sucker on a 2 wt is a blast!! I musta caught close to a dozen b4 I finally spooked 'em.

Donald

Blog Entries

Linecaster, whether or not you have "reptile issues" is very much a function of where you are. In middle Tennessee you should count on seeing snakes. Most of them are non-poisonous. You need to become very proficient at identifying which snakes are poisonous where you are. A lot of innocent queen snakes and banded water snakes have been killed because people thought that they were cottonmouths. A lot of corn snakes have been killed for looking too much like copperheads. Poisonous snakes CAN bite and inject venom when they are submerged.

Beadleech, there are days when my heaviest fish is a creek chub. In fact, I've had days when my 10" creek chub was a good bit heavier than my 10" largemouth. I've also had days when I bounced offerings off of their noses and they just ignored them. Still, I'd rather catch something other than chubs, given my druthers.

Ed

Ed - I agree. This area is good what with the smallmouth, rock bass, and longear sunfish. If the smallies are not responsive the other two are generally agressive enough that if you can find them you can find something they'll hit. Might take a few fly changes tho.

I'm retired and the person I most often fish the creeks and river headwaters with is not. He's still part of the "working class"! lol I notice there is generally more urgency in his fishing than in mine. If I don't slay them today I can get up tommorrow and do it again! He must wait a week....

Donald

Ed,
    I am in Texas just a bit north of Dallas.
    Guess I better look up snake types before summer

Texas is famous for cotton mouths and water mocasons (SP) both are very poisonous.Lest we forget timber rattlers and ground rattlers. I was raised there. Shoot first and ask the snakes CORPSE if it is poisonous. Only good snake is the one that is made into belts boots or hatbands!!!!!!!
    When I was stationed in Louisiana a bunch of us went snorkling in some of the lakes. Kept finding old boats with holes in the bottom.Shotgun blast of a snake in the bottom of the boat.It is not an urban myth.
    Dennis

+ Reply to Thread