+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: flyfishing with plastics

Wow, where'd this thing come from? Old conversations must never die! JGW

I Put it back ontop!! Through a link in another Plastic related post! Your welcome!

See Post Idabelangler on this board.

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 09 February 2006).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I refuse to use plastics with a fly-rod. They are for people who cannot or will not attempt to master the art of fly-tying and casting. Plastics are lures. Flies are made with feathers, fur or similar materials. Plastics cheapen the experience. If you need to use plastics, get an ultra-lite spinning rod (yes, I have one, too). They are in the same catagory as casting bubbles for spininng rods.

Just my opinion.

Semper Fi!

Your opinion is noted.

Jim

I know you're not suppose to "FEED THE TROLLS" but here is my last word on those who's dogma prevent them from fishing with spinners, soft pastics, and other unconventional methods of fly fishing:

Or to quote Tom Nixon: "I know the plastic worms, even the altered or lightened ones,are a far cry from most concepts of fly rod lures (edit from idabelangler: yes even if you don't want to admit it flys are lures) but a Bass is also a far cry from the conventional target of the long rod. So, when the conventional concepts of tackle, lures, and procedures fail to interest an unconventional quarry go it his way, or as we have all heard, "Try it, you'll like it.""

Dave Whitlock on of those who have "mastered the art of fly tying and casting" created the WHITLOCK SCORPION a fly rod version of the Mr. Twister:

As far as not wanting to "master the art of fly tying and casting' goes. In my opinion it takes more skill to properly cast and retrieve a #6 Pig Boat with a #1 spinner attached to it, than to cast a #30 midge on 8x tippet to sipping trout. I've done both so I can speak from experience.

**Dinner time for the trolls is over...and there will not be seconds...atleast not from me.**

Hey Nowindknots,

Very nice reply! Straight and to the
    point. Not at all confrontational and it
    has a polite air about it.*G* Warm regards,
    Jim

So the use of such things as Krystal Flash,foam popper bodies,sheet foam,Microfibbets,craft fur....and so many other "Plastics" are never used in your flies....? Hummm Must suck to have such a dull and lifeless selection to choose from...

seen a lot of flies in my time that were and are, merely lures!

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread