+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Houston Area Fly Shops?

Default Houston Area Fly Shops?

Been trying to get my Dad to at least TRY some WW Fly fishing ever since he moved to Houston, but he has been quite hard headed about it. I tied him a bunch of appropriate flies and sent them, to no avail. Well, he was visiting My sister in Florida, and while standing on the dock out back saw a 'monster' cruising last fall, so for Christmas I sent him a DVD on Bass Fishing with a flyrod. Well, he was in Florida again this month and tried from the dock there and has decided that this WW fishing is pretty good. So, now for my question:

Are there any fly shops close to the Spring area in Houston that I can send him into for moer flies and info on where he can go close to home, and most importantly, a license?

Thanks, guys!!

Don
    Don Rolfson

You might want to email these guys or check out some of the links on their website:

[url=http://www.texasflyfishing.com/:f9535]http://www.texasflyfishing.com/[/url:f9535]

Don, there is of course, Bass Pro Shops in Katy Mills. The people there were always friendly and helpful when I would visit.

Is he aware of the incredible opportunities at Lake Fork?

Jim

[This message has been edited by nowindknots (edited 01 February 2006).]

Well, he was visiting My sister in Florida, and while standing on the dock out back saw a 'monster' cruising last fall, so for Christmas I sent him a DVD on Bass Fishing with a flyrod. Well, he was in Florida again this month and tried from the dock there and has decided that this WW fishing is pretty good.
    Yep, Don. That will do it to you every time . Or to him every time. Well, you know what I mean .

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Send him down to the Holiday Inn Select on Katy Freeway this Saturday. The 14th Annual Houston Fly Tying Festival is taking place and there's a lot of good fly tiers and fly fishermen that can give him some good advice. I've been a number of times and it's been worth the trip every time.

TxEngr

drolfson,

As TxEngr says the 14th Annual Fly Tying Festival is going on this Sat. but not at the Katy Frwy. location. That Hotel has been leveled due to the freeway expansion. The show is at the Holiday Inn at 2712 Southwest Frwy. (Hwy 59 S.) at Kirby. I believe the hours are from 8:30 to 4:00.

As far as shops go there are a few. Bass Pro at Katy Mills mall, I Fly the Anglers Edge across from the Galleria and Orvis down the street from there.

Your Dad won't be disapointed if he attends the show. Many fantastic tiers will be there.

Leo C.

There is a Gander Mountain, on 45, just south of 2920 (smallish selection, but close and sells licenses), Cut-Rate has a good selection down on I-10 just west of the loop, Anglers Edge and Orvis on Westheimer, and as mentioned there is a Bass Pro out in Katy.

If he has a boat, there are a lot of places close...lake conroe, lake houston, lake livingston to name some of the bigger destinations. Non boat fishing can be a bit more problematic due to access issues and gators. I don't recommend wading in waters with things that can eat you.

...the only houston club that i'm aware of is [url=http://www.texasflyfishers.org/Main.htm:3eabe]Texas Fly Fishers[/url:3eabe].

i'd just add...that if there is water, and it doesn't dry up, there is strong possibility that you'll find fish in it. I've been fishing in some pretty odd places

Thanks guys!!! I knew you would come through! I pointed him to the tying festival. I hope he will go and take my brother and his kids along. They would all enjoy it a ton.

Don

Oh, Robert. I am looking forward to visiting my sister in Florida also! He said he though he saw a peacock bass in the, lake that was 2 feet long. I don't know whether to believe him or not.
    Don Rolfson

Oh, Robert. I am looking forward to visiting my sister in Florida also! He said he though he saw a peacock bass in the, lake that was 2 feet long. I don't know whether to believe him or not.
    Don, when you see some clear weather down here after all the front and high wind activity dies down a bit, this month and next, the fishing should be good. If your sister lives in Ft. Lauderdale or below Lake Okeechobee, you can believe him . I am hoping to get into some of the peacocks and maybe some grassies later this season with a fishing buddy who knows where they are down there.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 03 February 2006).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

You can't go wrong with I Fly the Anglers Edge store as mentioned by Steve_A...
    The Orvis Store on Westheimer is a posibility but a but snooty for my tastes..

+ Reply to Thread