+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seattle fishing?

Default Seattle fishing?

I'll be in Seattle 5/7-5/11.

Fishing suggestions?

Thanks-
    Kent

You said when you would be in Seattle, but you said nothing about how much of that time would be available for fishing, or what you want to pursue.

Judging from my own experience of living in OR with a brother in WA (Fort Lewis/Olympia), Oregon has more and better options for fishing, WA has more spectacular sites for camping/hiking. I also base that on the fact that I became acquainted with a number of guys that used to drive down from the Olympia/Tacoma/Seattle area every weekend to fish the big D. (Others will disagree, and that's fine.)

I recommend a drive down to OR (particularly if you want to chase trout). There are several reasons. At that time of year, I think that the Oly Pen steelhead will be downers. If you've never flyfished for steelhead, you would need a guide and a lot of help anyway. The salmon are not likely to be running up in good numbers that early. The Oly Pen is beautiful, but I do not think that it would be productive then. There are trout waters east of Seattle, Yakima, Skagit, etc., but they are no on par, IMO, with the better OR rivers.

The Deschutes would be a good choice. May is the salmonfly season, and at that time it should be happening on the upper reaches, down below Madras. It is not precise, it can be off a few days with environ variables, but you may be a tad early. The lower reaches of the Deschutes, around Maupin, the junction, and Mecca Flats near Madras are good choices. YOu would not be far for a trip to the Crooked, which is easier but has lots of dinks. The Metolius would not be terribly far either, but is a clear spring creek type fishery, and you need long leaders, stealthy approaches, good presentation, and a PhD. to catch a lot of fish there.

If you do not want to fish in the desert, you could aternatively choose the upper reaches of the Willamette (Middle Fork), the Umpqua, and/or the Rogue. The Williamson is a great river, but there is no run of fish out of the lakes at that time. The Donner & Blitzen is way far in S. Central OR, and most of my friends consider it to be a better fall fishery, around Sept.

Perhaps someone else can tell you what the smallmouth are doing on the John Day at that time.

Thanks guys. I will have some time & could do full day trip, but not overniter. Also interested in quicker nearby opps.

My son is living there now & I anticipate future trips. This one is not a pure fishing trip, but I'd definitely like to get in a day or 2 (or 3 halves). Probably want to do self-guided this trip.

Species not of major import - like trout but others too. Salt also. Never fished steelhead (and understand this is probably not the time for them anyhow), but I've fished most other species. Interested in having some fun & seeing some water as much as catching monster fish.

Thanks-
    Kent
    [url]flyfishga.comp[/url}
    [url=http://www.flyfishga.com:44a80]http://www.flyfishga.com[/url:44a80]

[This message has been edited by J Castwell (edited 18 April 2005).]

If you are going unguided and are familiar with trout fishing, I have two suggestions for you - one is for a full day, and one for part of day.

Full day - head to the Yakima and fish bows - great stream - even better if you rent a pontoon or drift boat from the Evening Hatch (in Ellensburg) or Red's (right on the river), both shops cater to guys just out for the day from the city, so you can get the specifics, and the hottest flies from them.

Partial Day - Take your 5-7 weight down to Licoln Park in West Seattle and fish for sea run cutthroat from the beach.

You may also want to post your question on [url=http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com:46ed5]www.washingtonflyfishing.com[/url:46ed5] , a board dedicated to, well..., read the name of the site. For more info on the cutthroat on that site, try the search feature using the term "SRC" (sea-run cutthroat).

Have fun,

-- James

Kent,

you've got mail

Have fun
    paul

+ Reply to Thread