+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smokies Fish-In Accomodations

Default Smokies Fish-In Accomodations

Hey all - I am really looking forward to this event and meeting you guys. There are @ ten of us so far getting together, and it promises to be a lot of fun!

As to motel accomodations, four of us attending will be staying at the Sleep Inn in Bryson City (828.488.0326). The rate for a room with two double beds is @ $75/night, with a continental breakfast thrown in. The manager has agreed to let all of us use the breakfast nook for evening get-togethers, fly tying, "there I was" tales, etc., which will do fine given the size of our group so far. (His meeting room is being remodeled, or we could use that).

CAMPGROUNDS: In trying to keep things kinda centrally located, for those of you camping or with campers (Buna, Chris) I recommend the Tumbling Waters campground (www.tumblingwaters.com, 828.479.3814) which is located @ five miles west of Bryson City off of Highway 28. I have camped there MANY times and have always been treated extremely well. The owners, Joe and Carolyn, are the nicest people you could want to know, and their campground is a first-rate operation. In fact, Panther Creek flows next to the campground, and I have caught many nice fish right there in camp! (They also have cabin accomodations for those who want to go that route)

There are other campgrounds and motels in the area, of course, and if you want to search for one on your own go to [url=http://www.greatsmokies.com/sitemap.html:3b071]www.greatsmokies.com/sitemap.html[/url:3b071] for information on the surrounding area. If you can't find it there, it ain't there!

It's probably time to start getting a tentative list of activities together so I can begin to prepare some maps, etc. If you have any druthers, please make them known to the group so we can discuss it. Alternatively, if the group just wants to fish and do other stuff on their own, that's fine, also. Let it be known!

I posted a tentative fishing schedule in a previous post, and posted a suggested list of flies to tie/get - if you can't find 'em I'll list 'em here again in this thread.

I,for one, have a taste for Eye-talian food, and Bryson City has one of the best Eye-talian restaurants in the SE USA - Pasquallino's - whose chef, guess his name, hardly speaks english, but his food speaks volumes! I plan on one evening's meal there!

Well, let's talk it up and get some idea of what we all want to do.

TL,

Dave

I've stayed at that Sleep Inn on business. It is the nicest motel in Bryson City. One thing I really liked was the shower - good space, lots of hot water, and good pressure.

-John

What would be the dates for this event?

TIA.

Dale

Hi Dale - the dates are May 12-15, and as you can see, the Fish-In is just down the road apiece from you! Come on down!

TL,

Dave

Dave - see what I can "move around" schedule wise and just might be able to be up that way. Most generally travel with my popup camper and when in the Fontana Lake area, stay at the nat'l forest C/G, Tsali, which is just on the opposite side of Hwy 28 from the Tumbling Waters C/G you referrenced, only right down at lakeside. No electrical hook-ups but there are flush toilets and hot showers and the rate (I think) is $15.00 ... those of us with the old cronies card get it for half that price.

Dale

Hi everyone.
    Looks like I may be able to attend. Yippeee!
    I will probably camp and would like to know if anyone else is planning to do the same and what campground they may be staying at.
    I would prefer to camp in the same campground as some of the other attendees for obvious reasons.
    I looked at the Tumbuling Waters website and it seems very nice, especially with the recommendation from Dave.
    Anyone else camping and where? Would appreciate some input.
    Thanks in advance and thank you, Dave for all your hard work.

Outstanding! The Tsali Campground is a nice place to camp, and it is located right in the area near Bryson City.

DVC, you might want to shoot Dale an email and find out his intentions; it may end up that everyone stays at Tsali. It would be a GOOD thing if those camping were to all stay in the same place - that way, if the group decides to do a cookout (be real difficult to have a campfire in the lobby of the Sleep Inn!) we could get some steaks in town and grill 'em up for supper one evening.

I'll be sending an email to everyone who has expressed an interest to summarize the info that has been posted - license fees, flies, etc., in a few days.

Meantime, TL,

Dave

I'm ready! Got my plane ticket a few minutes ago. Going out to buy some new wading boots next!

Can't wait.

JBW

Myself and my fishing partner will be camping also. I looked at the Tumbling waters site and see it recommends reservations. I sent them an email requesting site availability. I don't know how it works at the NF campground as far as reservations go. I would hate to get down there and nothing be available. Either one would be fine with me though. If anyone has any preferences post or shoot me an email.
    The dinner at Pasquallinos sounds good, seems like we usually end up living on grocery store sub sandwiches on our fishing trips. We just got back from a three day, four sub excursion. A good meal after fishing would be a pleasant change of pace.
    Looking forward to meeting everyone and some of those Smoky Mountain trout I've heard so much about.
    Gary

The Tsali C/G is one of the Nantahala Nat'l Forest Campgrounds and to date, so far as I know, they DO NOT take reservations (although I hear they are going to do so sometime in the future); it's first come, first served. However, mid May is not prime season, the water and night temps are still "brisk" ... and the li'l darlings are not yet out of school. (Summertime, forget about showing up on the weekend!)

You might consider calling the Cheoah Ranger District which looks after that particular C/G: (828/479-6431), and see what they have to say.

Should I be able to go, I'll be at the campground late Thursday afternoon to have some kind of a pick of sites. Here's something else to consider ... you can have an RV and a tent (or two tents), at each site. I think the number of warm bodies is limited to six. But if a couple of sites could be rented, that would take care of four places to lay down some weary heads. Just a thought.

Dale

+ Reply to Thread