Interesting topic. I have several ponds and years of experience trying to get them to meet objectives. Its all about your objectives.

I have found that if you want to raise really large BG, you need a good distribution of LMB and especially large LMB. I never remove BG from my ponds, never. If a pond has too many BG, I increase the number of predators and vice versa. We are able to routinely raise 10 inch BG and some up to 12 inches. We are currently experimenting with a hybrid BG in a special pond in hopes of seeing fish push beyond the 10 to 12 inch threshold.

Public waters are very difficult to manage for objectives because of the lack of control. Some people like LMB, some like BG, etc. It is very difficult for small waters to be all things to all people.

We are also about to embark on an experiment with crappie in a small pond...which many experts say can not be done without stunted crappie resulting. Again, I believe it is all about objectives and that a pond managed for crappie, i.e. without any BG, with lots of predators(hybrid striped bass), and with very clear water will indeed produce a satisfactory crappie pond. Ponds are great fun and can provide fishing "like it used to be".

Thanks for the interesting post.