+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting Started

Default Getting Started

hello everyone, new to the site and looking for some help in getting started with Tying Flys. I am deployed to Iraq with the Army and want to start Tying during my spare time over here. I am in search of a portable flying tying station/kit that will be easy to take with me when I am deployed. Can someone send me in the right direction, so many sites out there, just don't know were to start.

------------------
    Tim Coop

Tim;
    Open up Fly Tying over on the left and check out Al Campbell's advice. He tell us what tool are needed.
    You can get the tools from H&H (Hook & Hackle) for around $30.00
    For material's check out the Fly Tying Archives to see what flys you want to start with. Beginners 101 would be a good place to start. Hook & Hackle is also a good source for material's
    You should be able to get everything in to a medium sized tool box to transport.

Tim,
    Welcome aboard!!
    Hopefully you'll have access to a computer while there, and you can reference Al Campbells fly tying section. It's one of the best ... ever! If you have a chance to hit a Barnes and Noble (or maybe the special order desk at the PX) before you go over, a fun, well written book you may be interested in is "Fly Tying for Beginners" by Peter Gathercole. Gathercole also wrote the "Flytying Bible", another excellent book.
    Be careful while you're deployed. We want you home, safe and sound when your tour is over.
    10th Mountain, huh? Ft. Campbell? Hooah!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

My favorite portable fly tying kit is the one from Cabelas. Wooden box. All the tools and vise included. It's not a rotary but the little thing holds a hook. Which is what a vise is all about. Only about $19 for the kit. I use those boxes as introductory kits for all my fly tying classes. Some of the students buy them from me before eventually graduating to a more sturdy and convenient vise. Yet if I'm traveling I'll always take my Cabelas. It's all inclusive except for the music and wine. JGW

Tim , Please look up my son SPC Lind and he will gladly help you get started with several basic warmwater flies we tie. And tell him I said so!!!!!
    Doug

PS If you need anything just let me know.

+ Reply to Thread