MO,

I know all about that 10-inch snowfall KC got last night. I was up all night at the Bolling Federal Building; one of my job duties involves monitoring and inspecting our snow removal services.

The storm didn't slack off until just one hour before the building opened, so pedestrian footing and parking lot problems were rampant early on. From Indian Summer to Hell on Ice in two short weeks.

Yes, when I grow up I want to be just like my hero, Rick Zieger. I think Rick could catch fish out of a bathtub. Even a bathtub filled with ice cubes. Rick's forgotten more about catching panfish than I know.

If you want to enjoy a nice concentration of bald eagles without driving very far, go over to Lawrence and check out the open water pool below Bowersock Dam on the Kansas River. The pool is located at the north end of Massachusetts St. in downtown Lawrence.

Right now the Kansas is frozen over everywhere but in rare places, and the Bowersock pool is one of those places. Eagles congregate there during intense cold spells like we're having now. They swoop down out of adjacent tall trees for some live-ammo "fly fishing" of their own.

Personally, I prefer watching eagles from my canoe as I drift downriver from Perry or Topeka, but a trip like that is impossible now unless I outfit my canoe with sled runners and a sail.

Joe

"Better small than not at all."