+ Reply to Thread

Thread: clear intemediate line and panfish

Default clear intemediate line and panfish

Some of the lakes I fish are pretty clear. I currently have a weight forward floating line and was wondering if a clear intermediate line would be better under these conditions instead of simply lenghtening my leader? And if so, do you just add tippet to a clear intermediate line or do you use a sinking leader/tippet combination? Thanks

I've got a "ghost tip" clear intermediate, I've had it for about 4 seasons now. I hate it. While the concept is nice, in application it doesn't seem to add any benefit and there are a few drawbacks. First the concept:

You would think a clear fly line would alarm fewer fish than a thick, opaque fly line. Not necessarily true. The sinking lines I use most often are dark brown. I've fished them in very clear (tap water) streams with short leaders (18") and not spooked fish. The simple fact is that there are all kinds of things floating in the water and a dull sinking line just doesn't cause concern for the fish. A fish can't make the connection that that long, dark, weed-looking thing is somehow attached to the potential meal in from of it. Hence, no hesitation to strike if the presentation is correct.

A clear line may have more application in fishing over flats fish where the line IN THE AIR has more effect than it does in the water.

Now the drawbacks:

Getting a nail knot to stick effectively to a clear line is difficult. They are very slick and soft. I've had problems with a satisfactory connection. My line originally came with a braided loop. That was more visible in the water than my dark sink tips!

The article this week about the Albright Loop has me thinking this might be the ideal solution for a clear intermediate line and I'll likely whip it up today, but I still seriously doubt I'll fish the line other than as a lark. I just don't have confidence.

My top lines for fishing clear waters (including the Ohio R. which can have visibility to 15')for sight feeders like stripers and smallies is a blue intermediate, a 10' dark brown type V sink tip, and a bright red floating line. I've never had a problem with these.

Tight lines,

Joe C.

------------------
    Fly Fishing Warm Water Rivers is my new book based on nearly two decades of exploring and fishing the flows of the Midwest. [url=http://www.flyfishohio.com:27bdf]www.flyfishohio.com[/url:27bdf] for more information

Thanks Joe you've helped me a bunch. Like you said, it really sounds good in theory.

Great info Joe

Thanks

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Here in Southern Illinois my son and I both use weight forward lines with a factory tapered leader of about 8-1/2 to 9 feet or knotted leaders I have tied myself. I've never had trouble catching fish in the clearwater areas. We use cast connectors from Bass Pro to connect our lines to leader and we've never had one to fail.
    Kahuna

+ Reply to Thread